Going to Ely, Minn. Need Advice

I'm a scout in a troop that is going to Ely, Minn. to canoe. I have a few questions that I would like some advice on and I feel that some of you would be great resources. My questions are as followed:

What would you bring as far as personal (1 person) lunches go? (Give me some specific ideas)

What type of personal equipment would you bring? (Again be specific)

What would you bring for fishing?

What would you do to prepare yourself?

What are some of your experiences up there?

If you could please help a scout out, it would be apperciated. Either answer the questions here or email answers to wmckay06@hotmail.com. Please do not PM me as I no longer have the email address listed.

Thanks,

A follow scout

July is reportedly the only month of the year that snow had never been recorded in Minnesota. "Bring Warm Clothes" is not just a book title or a suggestion. We had below freezing temps overnight last week. I am serious - verify with your favorite online weather channel.

Mosquito netting is not such a bad idea either. Though so far I've heard West Nile Virus has only gone as far north as Iowa so far this year. Lyme disease *is* an issue in these parts.

I suppose it would be rather unscoutlike of me to suggest you custom order your squirrel fur underwear from LLBean? I did this to a foreign exchange student - told him he would need to call their 800 line and tell them specifically that he needed the custom squirrel fur underwear - it's not carried in the regular catalog. Really had him going...

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls

hotdesk,

There's room for lots of discussion - you need to do some homework on Northern Tier website, etc.

Lunch - can't beat small plastic jar of peanut butter and bagels. Yes, the jar is bulky trash, but packs a lot of calories and nutrition into small volume.

Personal equipment - military jungle boots, mosquito head net, 100% DEET, wide-brimmed hat, nylon shorts (with mesh liner), polypropelene shirt, long-sleeve nylon shirt. Last, but not least, good rain gear - you'll use it every day. (Not poncho - rain coat or jacket.)

Fishing - red/white "daredevil" spoons - lots of them (you'll get snags and lose many)

Preparation - practice some canoing, team-building with crew, some cardio-vascular training, some upper body strength training. Expect to be wet all day, from the time you put on your wet boots in the morning until you climb into bed that night. If you're lucky, you'll have dry shoes and clothes to change into when you make camp - count your blessings.

Experiences - the best of what the great outdoors has to offer: beautiful country, unspoiled wilderness, bald eagles, no crowds

Get ready for an excellent adventure!!

Have a great time! In my opinion it's some of the most beautiful country in the world! I've been to the boundary waters quite few times, both to Sommer's Canoe Base and on my own.

Are you going to the canoe base? Are you using an outfitter? Or are you traveling on your own? Sommer's and most outfitting options will supply the food. If you are on your own, some of the guidelines that apply to backpacking will also apply to canoeing. Weight and bulk are still important, but not as important as backpacking. Remember there will be times when you must carry everything between lakes. Many portages are quite short, but there are some that are long, too.

We always paddle with 3 people to a canoe and 2 packs. One pack is shared by the 3 for personal gear and the other pack is group gear and food. When portaging, 2 people carry the packs and paddles, and the third carries the canoe- very efficient and quick.

Bug spray is important- the Minnesota state bird (the mosquito) has been known to give welts to the canoes and has no trouble bitting through jeans and flannel shirts.

We went a couple of years ago... (really summer of 2002). Here's what I wish I'd done.

WALK. I blew out a knee on our first unloading. I was hurt, and walked slowly the entire trip. I wish I could have been stronger.

PUSH UPS. LOTS OF PUSHUPS. My upper body HURT.

It was cool in the daytime for us, and HOT at night. I brought a +20 bag that was never zipped up. In the daytime however I almost always had a sweatshirt on. A big floppy hat, my expedition hat was PERFECT.

Lots of DEET. DEET is our friend. As I sat in the shower house after the trip I stopped counting at 120 bites on my two arms and body (didn't count my legs, my back or my face).

Bring seasonings. The food is some of the best I've EVER had at a scoutcamp. Pretty good statement when you think you get supplied to start the week and haul it EVERYWHERE you go. It was nice to spice things up some (I'm from California, so we liked salt/pepper, garlic, onion, and tabasco) Eat all your food, you'll get tired and sick if you don't.

Don't count on fish to supplement with. Our troop was broken into 2 crews, we went in 2 different directions. One crew ate too much fish, the other crew only caught one bass for the entire trip. It sure tasted nice on the next to the last night, even if you only get one forkfull.

Bring LOTS of film. IT'S WONDERFUL. TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

Bring a thank you gift for your guide. Unlike Philmont your guide goes out the entire time with you.

Don't get cheap boots. I couldn't fit my size 14s into the Army Surplus boots, my son could. I had to spend money for a real pair of 'guide boots' (felt sole and all). My boots made it no problems, my feet made it no problems. My son with his Army Surplus supplies got to visit the foot doctor when we returned. His boots shrunk and then fell apart. Bring Duct Tape (but you know that, you can't camp with Duct Tape) Be prepared to be wet and dirty, you are going to be both.

Also be prepared for a GOOD TIME. It is a wonderful place. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes when you get back. Have fun, and "pull!!"

• 2 years later...

I've been going to Ely to canoe since 1976, I believe I can give you some good advice. I don't know when your going for sure, but the best time is from the 1st of July to the end of Aug. Well to start off with your lunches; the first couple of years that I went I simply purchased the dehydrated food from my Outfitter, but I have found that I can put together a much better meals myself.

I would suggest using styrofoam coolers, because they are inexpensive and keep ice alot longer than other type of coolers when your in the sun. I live in Iowa so, what I so is I pack my food in the coolers with regular ice until I get to Ely, then I dump the regular ice and replace it with dry ice. I have had dry ice keep my frozen items actually frozen for up to 4 days after leaving on the water. You can really take anything you like to eat with you on the trip with no problem.

I put all my frozen food items in the styrofoam coolers and of course have them packed with dry ice. I have been taking filet migon steaks, hot dogs, ground beef, (ground chuck is better), smoked ham steaks and even a half gallon of milk. The milk with thaw with no problem and no difference in taste either. After I place all the meat in the coolers 1st I then place a paper sack such as from the grocery store on top of the frozen food, then the dry ice is placed on top of the sack, then I place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the ice with the shinny side up, then put the lid on. This will keep your food frozen up to 4 days if you limit the time you open and shut the lid plus try to keep them out of the sun as much as possible. These coolers are alot easier to carry over portages and when their empty, they weigh almost nothing. Now as far as dry items such as; chips, peanut butter, bread, etc, I like using a canvas back back which if you do not have one, you can rent one from your outfitter. One of your coolers can be used for eggs, bacon, butter anything else that would need to be in a cooler. Now, if your going by yourself, you should be able to get by with two coolers, one for frozen and one for just items tat need to stay cool. The canvas back pack can hold everything else as far as food items. Yoy might also consider a flat teflon coated griddle designed for campfires to be able to handle the heat of the campfire. This one piece of cooking equipment can handle all of your cooking needs from steaks, hamburgers, pancakes and eggs. When it comes to plates and things to eat off of and drink from, I prefer the blue enamel plates and cups you find in your local Wal Mart or camping store. The kind that is blue backgrund with white spots on them, their pretty cool looking and very durable, easy to wash. For you, one person, I would take two of these plates, one cup of same product as the plates, one plastic glass, a large spoon for cooking with, one fork, a normal sized spoon and a reguler butter knife. You should take a very sharp knife for cutting your steaks and such. I take Pringle potatoe chips because of the crush proof container they come in that packs great in your canvas backpack. Your bread items like hotdog buns, hamburger buns and regular bread can go in the canvas backpack. I have in the past used cardboard to line my canvas backpack to give it more support so the sides of the pack stand up even when there is nothing in the pack. This keeps anything from getting crushed. Plan your meals so as to know what you will be eating and when on what day and what time of the day. I even took a bag of charcoal 2 years ago. It worked great because I only intended to use it the first day and night anyway, so it was not any problem to take it since it was going to be use up right away at first. I sometimes like having a cold lunch like peanut butter sandwiches and such. Ya know, for just a small lunch what works great is to take a Sterno Stove and a can of Sterno fuel. This is great to use so when you want to cook anything like a hotdog or heat up some vegetables, cans of soups and not have to worry about starting up a big camp fire just to cook. I have never taken a Coleman stove on a canoe trip, they are too bulky, too heavy and just plain akward to have to carry. Sterno Stoves work very, very well. I have used them for several years now, includng on my motorcycle trips that I take. Take vegetables that are packaged in bags that you find in the frozen section at the grocery store, then you heat them up in a pot that you should take like a mess kit would have. If ya like pancakes, you can get the little containers that have the pancake mix already to go with exception of adding water. Bisquick is one brand we have in our area at the stores. All ya have to do is add wate up to the line on the container and shake the heck out of it and it is all ready to go on the hot griddle. If you check some of the islands on the lakes you'll be on, you have a good chance of finding some Blue Berry bushes. And I'll tell ya, fresh blueberries are hard to beat in pancakes. Don't forget to take syrup either. Basically, you can take any kind of food you like as long as you pack it correctly so as it does not spoil. Drinking water, in the camping section of any store you can find these little pills used to purify water. Take them, one bottle is to kill any of natures germs and the other bottle is used to make the water taste better after you kill any of mother natures germs with the first bottle. You should take a large canteen. You can either boil water and then drink it or use the pills which are safe to use which you would put them in your canteen or do like I did two years ago and take a few gallons of water with you. When the jugs are empty, they can be squished down and packed away in your canvas pack to take back with you and throw in the dumpster when ya get back to the outfitters post.

As far as equipment, I would take nylon rope with you. You should take one piece that would be at least 75' to 100' long and as big around as your little finger. This is used to tie/hang your food up in the trees at night so the bear don't eat it. I say a 100' because you need to throw your rope over a tree limb that is high enough off the ground so the bear can not stand on the ground and reach up to get it, far enough away from the trunk of the tree so they can not climb the tree and reach out to get your food and it also has be be hanging far enough down fron the tree limb so the bear can not clib the tree, out on to the limb and reach down and get your food. I learned this from experience believe me. Some of the limbs you may have to use might be up in the tree quite a ways. This is why it is a good idea to take that length of rope. You first tie something like a rock on the end of the rope and then throw it up and over a selected tree limb, then tie the end of the rope to the pack and pull it up to meet the criteria I have mentioned earlier, then tie the other end to the trunk of the tree. Another good idea would be to tie any pot or pan to the rope just above the spot where you tied the rope to the tree. This way if any bear try to come in your camp and steal your food you will be aware of it.

Also, I would take two sections of rope at 50' in length, the same diameter as the 100' rope. Tie the 50' sections to the front and back of the canoe. This way you are always set up to be able to tie/dock your canoe at your camp site or whenever you stop somewhere. Phones do not work up there unless ya have a satelite phone. First aid kit is a good idea too. Flashlights, a soft folding chair, camera. Just remember that everything you take you have to carry. So I would plan on setting yourself up so that on the beginning of canoe trip you will be all packed up with lots of stuff, but as the trip progresses you will be using the stuff you packed so that as the trip goes on you will have less stuff to carry so that when the canoe trip is done and you are canoing your way back you should'nt have too much stuff to carry, because you used the stuff and every day you carrying less and less stuff so that when you get down you basically have you back pack, sleeping bag, cookware stuff. If you plan it correctly you will use up your perisable items and will just have your equipment left to carry. Always use a frame back pack. Any other type will hurt your back. The frame gives your back support. Take all of your personal items that you need, toothpaste, shampoo, biodegradable soap, razor, etc.

For fishing, take one rod and tackle and I would check with your outfitter to see what lures or live bait that the fish in that area are biting on at the time that you are there. I would purchase your lures there to so you can ask again the outfitter as to what lures the fish are biting on.

To prepare youtself for the trip, I would make sure you excercise before you go. Do lots of stretches.

Hey, before I forget, never never, never take food in your tent to eat. If the bear smell any food in your tent and it is a stronger scent then the food in the tree, I'll tell ya right now that you will have a bed partner not of your choice. I mean no gum, chewing tobacco, breath mints anything that has a food odor. Do not use cologne or heavily scented body spray.

As far as experiences, I have had such a good time when I start on Fall Lake 5 miles eadt of Ely at Winton right on Fall Lake. I go through Jordon Outfitters and they take me to Fall Lake. I then take and go north working my way up to Basswood Falls on the Canadian Border. There are only two portages between Fall Lake and the Canadian Border, three beautiful rapids, including Basswood Falls. There is a high population of Black Bear, Wolf, Deer, Bald Eagles and more. Only two years out of over 15 trips I have not had bear in my camp. They will not harm you at all, just leave them along and watch them. There is great fishing in this area, fantastic views.

I have alot more experiences that I could tell you. Why don't you contact me via e-mail or this forum if you want more information and I will be glad to give you more. I am at work now and keep getting interupted. I work at a hospital in the ER and Med/Surg, plus an Ambulance Service too. I also have a short video I an e-mail you if you interested of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Gunflint Trail. It makes your mouth water, it is so interesting. It makes you want to go on vacation right now.

Take care and I hope I have been some help for you. Like I say, if ya want more info then just get ahold of me and I fix you right up with more info, an Outfitter or what ever you need. I believe this is the very best way to get connected back with the true Mother Nature. It does'nt get any better than this partner.