Back Packs (Ruck Sacks)

Hello, I need opinions on a pack I'm intrested in.

First let me give you some information about what I'll be using it for. I'm not a cubscout, I'm a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol. I'll be using this back as a 72 hour pack on ground search and rescue missions where I may be looking for lost people, aircraft, etc. etc. or just use it at a shelter where I'll be on staff.

I live in Florida to give you idea of climate.

The pack of intrest is the Jansport Carson. I saw two verisons of it the 80 (reg.) and 90 (tall). I'm about 5"10ish 145 lbs. anyone have a reccommendation ? I was hoping for the 90 since it holds 5500 cubic inches....

Also I heard about early models having issues with the shoulder straps snapping/ripping right off under the pressure of a load ?

Thanks...

Hello VETTE277,

You certainly came to the right place for an answer, but you might not like what you hear.

When I think of a ruck sack I think of a day pack, 1800- 2500 cu in. or about that size. The pack you selected is a full blown backpack, and at 5500 cu in. you could hike for more than a week with this pack. Aside from that, you weight 145 lbs, and the recommendation for pack weights at always around 25%-30% of your weight. This means that for you, the pack should weight about 36 lbs. (including the weight of the pack).

I would start by finding out exactly what it is that you need to pack: Personal gear, provisions, first aid supplies???. How much of this gear will YOU be required to carry?

A big pack does have its advantages, but a large pack that is only half full can be a real problem to carry. I am not familiar the exact model you selected, however, most packs have a weight limit to them. Certainly, some packs are better quality than others, but often when the straps rip and tear it is because the user exceeded the weight limitations of the pack. Read all of the product literature you can get your hands on! Good Luck.

vette,

You might want to consider Kelty's Yukon model of backpack. It is about 3000 cu. in. and has a frame that telescopes so it can be adjusted to a person's height. A lot of young scouts use this model since it can grow with them over the years. My son has one and it seems to be of solid construction and accomodates a hydration system. Again, depending on what you need to carry, it might be overkill.

Jansport is a great brand with great customer service. I have a an old D-3 that has lasted me for fifteen years. Other than my endorsement of Jansport, I would second Fotoscouts comments a bigger bag is not better. Around here (the North Cascades) SARs team members have different packs for different missions. Check with your group to see what your equipment needs will be and watch your weight limit a bushed or hurt rescuer is not much good.

As I said this is for 72 hours, but I'd like to stuff my 24 hour pack which is a Camelbak mule in it also.

This is what I'll need to have with me

http://www.coloradowingcap.org/Evergreen/PublicArea/EmergencyServices.asp

I'm intrested in this particular pack because it's sold at a store close to me. Many people in my organization use a ALICE LARGE PACK which is military surplus which is pretty big...

I would suspect that the intent is for you to repack your 24 hr. pack into the 72 hour pack, not put the whole 24 hr. pack (bag and all) into the larger backpack. Even with that, unless youre carrying extra cold weather gear, the 5500 cu in pack could be too large. I noted that although you are carrying meals, I did not see any type of stove or fuel.

You would also want to take along a tent of some sort. Three nights under a poncho would not be in the best interest of the person whom you are supposed to rescue.

I think I understand the situation. I think a good internal frame pack that can adjust to individual proportions will do what you need. I sometimes take one on travel (in case I can take the weekend to do some solo stuff). External frames are good but the frames don't travel well as they tend to catch and hang on their surroundings.

I do advise you to seriously consider the fit, though. Try it at the showroom. Put some weight in it. See if someone will help you adjust it specifically for you. And if it feels right, buy it. But if there is ANY little thing not quite right, pass. There to just too many options and one of them will likely be nearly perfect.

Oh yeah, enjoy the shopping.

I'm partial to the large ALICE pack, I like milsurp equipment because it is usually built like a tank. I also like the large ALICE pack because it has a zillion pockets and has attachment points for hanging stuff off it.

I did have a Jansport pack in college that I carried loaded with books for many years. I graduated before it died.

• 1 month later...

The best pack is the one you are most comfortable with. Stay away from low proces book bags. You want something of good quality.

First determine exactly what you MUST carry and no more. The larger the pack the more you are going to want to put in it.

Select a pack that will hold all that you MUST carry. Try several packs (from several stores) to get to the pack that's for you. If you can field test it out of the store great.

If the pack wears you out after a few hours... is it the right pack for you.