While never having been to Philmont before, and in anticipation of our August trek, our crews are wondering about the 10-tent peg/person requirement. Without knowing exactly what type tents are issued, 10 pegs/person seems like overkill (assuming the tents are supplied with pegs to begin with, even though they're not specifically identified in the "Crew Equipment issued at Philmont" list in the "2004 Philmont Guidebook to Adventure" booklet). I'll assume Philmont staff must have a good reason, however, for suggesting this in their printed materials, but I thought I'd try to get some insight from those of you who may be able to provide it. Your thoughts on the pros/cons of this requirement? Or, is it simply that Philmont doesn't provide them (Why?) with the tents they issue?

Philmont does not supply stakes for there tents. I have heard that Philmont tents take a few more stakes than most tents, not sure how many. Extra stakes will be for the rain fly(s) and to replace lost, bent, and broken ones.

Your adviser may have you leave some of the stakes at base camp, it all depends on what adviser you get! So take the 10 per person!(This message has been edited by dan)