Did Anyone go to the West Point Camporee?

For two weeks I meant to ask here if anyone was going to be at the West Point Camporee this past weekend, but I never seemed to get around to it. Did anyone else go?

Our Troop was there. What an experience. If there is any way to get your Troop there, I strongly urge you to try. The area around W.P. is beautiful! The cadets do a wonerful job of putting this on, the events are interesting and provide a great opportunity for Patrols to participate in fun activities utilizing Patrol teamwork and spirit.

Logistics (getting to, into, and out of camp) are somewhat tough, but they do the best they can with the resources they have. It really is a a well run event.

If you've read many of my posts, you'll be able to recognize a learning concept we stress in our Troop, stolen from the medical profession, called "see one, do one, teach one". We use it all the time in our Troop. It struck us as very interesting that in a large way, the Academy used this camporee the same way. Cadets ran each station. They have to learn about military radio communication, for instance, but this event gave them an opportunity to teach it. They have studied things like logistics, planning, leadership, and such. This is one of their chances to put these skills to practice in an environment that allows for learning. I can't begin to tell you how much more I am jacked up about the techniques we use in our Troop to provide the experiences we do for our boys.

The most notable evidence of our Troop program was the cadet that sponsored us. A boy from our Troop, my oldest son't best friend, this young man has truly become a person I am proud to know and have been part of his development.

Man, what a weekend!

Mark

• 2 months later...

I didn't go to this, but I'm very interested in it for my son if they do this again. He's interested in West Point or some type of place like that after high school, so this might be good for that plus it sounds like a great time for the scouts. Is there an internet link? Can you send me info? If you like, contact me offline at MollieDuke@epals.com

Thanks,

MollieD

It is amazing how many of these type of events are out there but we rarely hear about them. We have been priviliged to go 3 times to the US Naval Academy Jambo held each January. The boys take only one MB but get a great exposure to the Academy. Be ready for winter camping! I can't paste the link here for some reason. Search google for USNA NESA Jambo to get the web site.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I am an ASPL in Troop 93 from Fullerton, California. I made a recent web search looking for information about the most recent West Point Scoutmasters Camporee and this site came up. So I thought I might ask my question here. I was wondering if anyone knew who won the Camporee in May. Last year I had the honor of being one of the members of my troop that went to the Camporee. It was an amazing experience and I would gladly attend again. We also had the honor of winning last years Camporee. So if anyone could post which troop won this years Camporee it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ryan

• 2 years later...

I'm signed up to go in May (2008). Looking forward to it. It is not open to all like most scouting events. A troop needs a sponsor at the USMA in able to go.

My two sons are signed up too. My oldest, 17 years old, Eagle Scout, is trying to decide if he will attend his 8th summer camp this year as a youth. He is a model Scout and I really am a proud papa. Now, my other son, he just turned 16 and has been a Life Scout for over two years. He has completed all of his merit badges, position of responsibility, etc. for quite some time. He needs to complete his service project and he is balking at it and scouts in general. I hope this outing will get him interested again. He didn't want to go until I told him there would be a grenade toss competition!