Alright guys, I know we've been through this before;)

I have a backpack at this link which interests me. I thought I would get your opinion, maybe get lucky and somebody have it and can give feeback. Also, feedback on the company itself as I have not delt with Campmor or Jansport stuff before.

I also have a backpack that I am possibly looking to sell, but not sure yet. Only problem with it is that fact that it doesnt fit my needs anymore. I'll try getting more information on it soon.

(Note--- If any of this thread goes against any rules, not sure but doubt it, please let me know and remove it, thanks;):))

Hops,

We need the link, buddy!

It would also be helpful to know what kind of backpacking you plan to do with it - weekend campouts, Philmont, cross-country ski trekking, mostly warm weather, mostly trails or bushwacking in the rough, etc.

And you thought it was a simple question! -mike

Hops,

$80 for a Jansport Carson 90 External Frame Pack looks like a good deal to me, although I haven't had much experience with Jansport personally. At 5500 cubic inches it's plenty big - maybe even too big for most Scout stuff. (Resist the temptation to fill it up!) I also usually recommend an external frame for Scouts unless they are sure they're going to be doing a lot of off-trail bushwacking or cross-country ski trekking.

Before you order one off the Internet, I recommend you try to find one you can try out.

Hope some of our Gear Heads drop in to give you better advice.

Mike you pretty well summed it up; particularly the importance of putting your hands on one and load some weight in it. This isn'ta bad looking pack if you have to go internal frame; got external pockets and separated lower compartment and fanny pack built in.

Can't tell what how access to the water bladder compartment is; when you're refilling that thing 2 or 3 times in a day with your pack full it becomes an issue!

The only thing that I might add for Hops to consider is now that you have a basic construction and size in mind, see what else might satisfy these requirement and what additional features might be available. And don't let a $20 bill make that decision for you! You'll be living with that pack for a long time and its well worth waiting for one more month.

And did that pack really ever sell for $180???

Hops,

The most important three things about a backpack are 1) fit, 2) fit, and 3) fit. External frame packs are for the most part more adjustable than internal frame packs. This is a good thing since Im pretty sure that you body will continue to change in the next few years. If there is any way that you can try on this pack at a local store before buying it, I would strongly advise you to do that. Remember, you will pay the shipping costs if the pack has to be returned because you dont like the fit. Measure your torso, and make sure that you are in the 18-21 torso length guidelines for this pack. Campmor has the instruction for measuring your torso on their website; REI & EMS also have instructions on their websites.

The size pack youve chosen is a little on the large size for weekend backpack trips, but it will leave you some extra space for the more bulky winter gear if youre into winter backpacking. But remember that you want the stuff in your pack to be packed, you dont want it loose and shifting around inside the pack as you are hiking.

Last but not least, after youve bought the pack, fill it to the gills and go for a walk! Adjust it, and walk some more, adjust it again, and walk some more. Dont wait until youre on the trial with the troop to find out that you have fit problems.

It looks like a nice packGood Luck!

I have several packs, a mixture of internal and external. All other things being equal, I like the externals because they generally come with more external "stash" pockets than the internals do, and makes it easier to keep gear organized and accessible on a longer event.

If you can, go to a local retail outlet and check it out before you order. A 5500 cubic inch pack can hold enough gear to easily bust the seams. Make sure it's well put together, especially at stress points. Compare the construction with the most expensive backpack you can find in the store, and see how they match up.

Jansport may make great backpacking gear, but I've always thought of them as making bookbags for middle school students (and not the greatest ones, either -- the bags, not the students). Might just be ignorance on my part.

KS

Hi Hops_scout

I have quite a bit of experience with Jansport, both internal and external. Probably half our troop has a Jansport and our family has owned four different models, along with other brands. Jansport is a quality pack for the money. The Carson is a new pack that just replaced the Rainier they sold for about 10 years. This pack is new enough that we have no experience with it, but the Rainier it replaced is probably the best pack you could buy for $80. Our Troop liked it because it is very adjustable and a young scout could grow eight inches and 50 lbs and still use the pack. It is very durable and has a good stiff frame which is important for external frame packs. As KS said, 5500 is plenty of room for a pack, even for Philmont. The harness system in these lower end externals are simple but sufficient to carry up to 45lbs.. Again that is enough for a long trip if you plan correctly. I imagine the Carson harness system was improved over the Rainier, but I have not seen it. Four scouts out of our Philmont crew of 12 last summer had the Jansport Rainier and they held up fine.

I agree with everyone here that you need to go try on the pack before you buy it to see if it fits. The 90 is the bigger pack and should work for at least a person up to 5' 8" and 130lbs. Bigger if you dont outgrow the waist belt. It is critical that the belt carry at least 95% of the weight of the pack, so it has to fit well. If the shoulder straps can't be adjusted to allow the belt to carry the load, you need a different pack. Jansport packs are traditionally very adjustable. Hopefully the store has someone who knows how to adjust the pack to see the fit. And I have found Campmor very easy to work with if their equipment doesnt work or fit.

If you are locked into this price, this is a good buy at $80, I think you would spend at least $50 for an equal pack of another brand. If this pack doesnt fit, keep watching the sales. Dana Design has some good externals and watch the prices of the Kelty Tioga, also a very good external that normally sell around $145. But you never know, there are some good sales.

Barry

Hops,

Here's some off the wall commentary I bet you won't get elsewhere. My oldest son also bought the Ranier that Eagledad mentioned. It's a great pack, and I was pleased with what I paid for it.

HOWEVER:

Everytime my son went on a backpacking trip, the SM complained about his pack. Seems the most efficient way he found to put eight backpacks in his Chevy Suburban was to stand them up. The frame on the Jansport was about 3/8" too tall to allow this one to be stood up straight. It's a minor point, but check out how the pack will best fit in the vehicle it will most often ride in.

Mark

I watched the first time they tried to load the 'burban with his pack. They were leaving for the A.T. They had shakedown hikes before, but he always seemed to ride with another adult, so the pack had never seen The SM's vehicle before it was packed the night before they left. It was too tall. I said that was silly, a Suburban has almost as much headroom as the cathedral ceiling in my house. I took the pack, tried to put it in my Suburban (I've down sized to a Tahoe now, but regret it every day). Damn if it wasn't too tall. We tried every way all of us could think of to fit it in: Slightly slanted, laying all of them stacked on their backs, side by side in two layers, nothing worked. They ended up laying it across the boys laps when they left, but by the first stop, the guys had already determined that it was time to either ger my son to practice his lashing, or pick up his pack at the gas station they were at on the ride back home.

Now the Troop "recomended Christmas gifts" lists requests that no one buy this model.

As we are preparing for our company Christmas party, I'd like to make sure I say Merry Christmas to everyone on this forum. And I also hope that all who celebrate Hanukah enjoy their Holiday as well.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, as you may notice, this is my first time posting, just joined within the last few days after coming across this place in the web while gathering information for a speech on scouting outside of the USA. In that regard, hello all. Moving, on, I've read all the replies and fully agree with all the advice given. I have some experience with JanSport by way of owning an external frame pack. Unfortunately I can't find the model name, probably because it came out sometime in 1997. I'll simply describe it as a basic external frame pack. Looking on the web it holds a similar style to the current "Scout" pack offered by JanSport, but of course in an adult size. My pack has taken me through Philmont twice and for its simple design and likely low cost, it has performed excellent. As Eagledad said, JanSport packs are quite adjustable and my pack is no exception. My first trek was in 1998 (14 yrs old), then again in 2002 (18 yrs old) and of course in those 4 years I had grown some, for which my pack adjusted well. I believe at the most I've loaded it with in the upwards of 65-70 lbs of gear (4 days of food at once will do that) and the pack managed that no problem.

On other advice already offered, I would consider practice hikes a must. At least one is needed to work out the adjustments to a comfortable setup, such things as hip pad height, location of shoulder strap bar and the placement of the straps along that bar, sternum strap, and other things that contribute to the pain or pleasure of your pack while hiking. Some of this may only be applicable to my pack, my apologies for any superflous information in this regard. One point I would press is making sure you are fully comfortable with your hip strap and it is not damaged or worn before heading out. On my last trek, the same day we picked up 4 days worth of food we ran into problems with the hip strap on the backpack of our younger trekkers. The problem was it was too big for him and he could not tighten it enough for it to support weight without sliding down. We managed to deal with this by relieving him of some crew gear and jerry-rigging some tension into the hip strap, but it could have been prevented.

I'm not sure if this supports everything or is more like hitting the nail more than need be, but I wanted to offer my perspective and maybe some advice will be gotten out of it as well.

YIS,

Jerry Erjavec