I have both a large and a medium ALICE, in addition to the next-generation internal frame military backpack, and several commercial internal frame systems.

The ALICE is very sturdy, and the external frame really lets you load on the weight. It's what I call a horizontal pack, though, in that the pack tends to fill out from side to side. That has caused me some balance problems on uneven surfaces, and has sometimes gotten in the way when using trekking poles or traveling on narrow trails. I've made my ALICE more comfortable with cut up sections of sleeping pad on the shoulder straps, and an internal waist belt cushion...both make it easier to carry

The newer internal frame military backpack gets a bad rap with some who accuse it of being flimsy. I haven't found that to be the case. The thing has a huge internal volume (I'd guess 6,000 CI easy), but it's not usually filled by a GI with the ultra light-weight backpacking stuff; it's got radios, batteries, ammo cans, claymore mines, and other junk with a very high weight-to-volume ratio...then the frames pop out.

I'd say, get whatever's comfortable and will carry your stuff.

KS

I also am planning to buy one. I think it will be a good buy. You can buy better shoulder straps for it and other things to make it more comfortable.

http://www.imsplus.com

http://www.rangerjoes.com

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com

I have found backpacks and other military type items at these sites. The latter one has a less expensive ALICE packs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hops_Scout;

It's difficult to give you a definitive yes or no. I don't know you, how big you are, how far you're going, how much you're carrying. Anyway, here goes:

The ALICE is an external frame backpack, aligned horizontally. If you're backpacking off prepared trails or bushwhacking, it will get hung up on brush, vines, branches, etc. The standard frame is a light metal alloy, and is not adjustable except for the kidney pad -- the frame is sized for a man. If you're not yet fully grown, it likely won't fit you properly. There are aftermarket frames made of a plastic-type material that are adjustable, but they're expensive.

There are two sizes of ALICE packs that will fit the external frames. The medium has just three external pockets, and can be carried with or without the frame. The large has the same three external pockets as the medium, and a row of smaller pockets above the other three. It can only be used with the frame. If you can, check out both. Check the frame carefully; it shouldn't flex or creak, and all the rivets/welds should be tight. Scratches and stuff, especially on the bottom, are normal. Check the pack itself to make sure the snaps all work (many on used ones are dented so bad they won't close), the drawstrings work, the map pocket on top still has its waterproof plastic intact, and that there are no worn-through spots, especially on the back adjacent to the radio pocket on the inside. If the pack and frame are not assembled together, take the time to put them together to make sure all the d-rings and straps are there and they work. Make sure the kidney pad and waist belt are attached to the frame and they all work. Remember, if you're buying from a surplus place, many of those packs have taken a lot of punishment.

The ALICE is rugged, will hold a ton of stuff, and can work for you, too. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a large in very good condition, with a good tight frame. If you have an army post near you, perhaps someone you know could check the military clothing sales store there -- they may have new ones for not much more than a used surplus one.

KS