Adult or Scout First Aid

Well, this is a big question.

How much first aid should be necessary to have along on a Scout Trip. Some Troops keep a nurse or physician along. Some adult members have first aid (usually Emergency Response) and others are not satisfied with this and do more (or do outdoor trips requiring) such as EMT, Wilderness First Responder, or Wilderness First Aid. Some Scouters have none (which I personally think as scairy, as I had to suffer through a (non-scout) outdoor emergency).

The Scout First Aid merit badge is meant to be an introduction to first aid, not a resource, in my opinion.

What is required, and what should be required for adults or even boy leaders?

Perhaps instead of requirements we should be offering incentives... If a Troop Committee could defray the costs of a Wilderness First Aid course for those with the appropriate prerequisites, it's possible to create a valuable new resource. Think that minimum age for some of these courses is 16 and could offer some of your older Scouts a chance to dig into something special as well.

You'll find some great opportunities out there but you do have to search them out and be persistent! If you really had to, your local EMTs etc can do a lot for a small group of folks with some basic knowledge (say comfortable as a First Aid MB counselor?)(This message has been edited by buffalo2)

All of our scouts and scouters attend the Red Cross First Aid and CPR classes annually. The scouts are up to date on the latest FA and CPR methods approved by the Red Cross. We have yet to experience a true emergency but often provide situational emergencies, usually along the trail. I think by keeping them up to date, they tend to be more aware of what is the safe thing to do and use better judgement because of their training. I hope that we don't have to use any of their knowledge and skills, but I feel better knowing that they are prepared. By the way, all of our trip info sheets for the parents have emergency numbers so they can get in touch with us, no matter where we are. We once were contacted by the county sheriff in the middle of Linville Gorge because a scouts family member died. Be Prepared.

Doug

Among the most important skills a scout learns are the first aid requirements. Adult leaders should be good models for the boys. Carrying certifications are an important way to express this commitment. My troop pays for the CPR certification of all scoutmasters. In addition we have two wilderness first aid, a first responder, three, no four nurses and a physician's assistant. Not all of these folks are scoutmasters but we heartily encourage their attendance on campouts.

These resources are especially critical in wilderness situations where response time is significantly delayed.

I fully aggree about being prepaired and the comment about being much more aware after taking and repeating the courses is absolutely correct. In fact, I think that this is the key. If you think ahead...just as mentioned...well, you don't get into the problems that might escalate into an emergency.

Though I learn about planning ahead by myself, and FA via Red Cross, I havn't heard of any training that takes this into consideration.

JB