Over the counter medications

Yep, that's what I expected, an attack that assumes the worst about me. Thanks.

So now I'm not compassionate, not understanding,not keeping the best interest of the boys at heart. Oh yes, I'm ignorant and want kids to die in the backcountry too (as added by another poster). Or maybe the medical forms I have are falsified to say ADD ADHD. It could be the case but those boys all seem to take their meds on time and if they don't, we still don't have a problem dealing with them. And where exactly did I say I wouldn't remind him frequently? Read again please.

Bob said it best.

If the medication is vital to their life then the youth needs to be capable of self-administering the meds or the parent should be in attendance.

What kind of parent leaves a child in the care of individuals without the proper training to adequately care for them?

I am not a doctor, a behavioural therapist, a psychologist, a pharmacist, a priest, a warden, an officer of the law. We also have NONE of those resources in our troop. We are people who want to provide the best scouting experiece we can for the scouts. My job as Scoutmaster, (as per the BSA), is to administer the BSA program properly and to abide by all BSA rules. And that is exactly what I do to the best of my ability.

I have seen Scouting volunteers sued into bankruptcy because of this very issue. To use your tone of post, obviously you haven't.

The BSA agrees with me, the COR agrees with me, the Troop Committee agrees with me, and the Parents agree with me. And that is all the justification I need.

Jeepers, Mike!!! I reread the threead and didn't see any ATTACKS against YOU or any other individual. I saw a lot of discussion, scenarios to consider and difference of opinion, but no attacks. Who singled you out and made bad comments about your character. Maybe I missed it, if so, I'm sorry.

In our troop medications are handed over to the Scoutmaster or Asst. for safekeeping. The parents are instructed that the boy is to know and follow his medication regimen; time, number of pills, etc. If we are not told, we ask for a rundown of the proper times for medication; in the morning, with dinner, etc. just so we can remind them when needed.

The reason for a leader keeping the meds is for safekeeping only. The boy and leader(s) know where they are so there's less chance of losing them, getting wet, getting mixed up, etc. The boy is responsible for taking his meds as instructed by his parents and physician. Another reason is that meds can be stolen, sold, etc. (I know, Scouts shouldn't be involved in this kind of activity, but let's be real, and it may not be another Scout that's after the meds) Ritalin is just one that is frequently sold in schools and on the streets.

One of the posts mentions Epi pens - if you haven't already, you need to check up on the law for your area. Same thing for over-the-counter meds of various types. In most locales, administration of any medication by someone other than a parent, licensed medical practicioner, or someone acting under a licensed practicioner - especially anything other than topical - is a no-no. If you're looking for a place to start, your local law enforcement drug unit can help out. A physician or pharmacist is also usually a good source of info - ask for the legal side, not his opinion of whether or not he thinks it would be OK from a standpoint of risk.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've been away. Does anyone else see a possible conflict in two threads here - One thread making it clear that moms are not welcome on campouts in at least some troops... and another stating that if a boy isn't able to self-administer his own meds, a parent has to be along to do it.

This may come as a shock to some of you gentlemen, but not all scouts have fathers that are involved enough with them to go camping with them .... and if mom can't come, and no one else is willing to make sure the medication thing happens...seems to me that we could have either a sad, left-at-home boy, or one that gets in real physical or mental trouble at camp. Hmm.

My personal answer goes like this: With written permission and clear instructions, I have kept prescription medications for scouts. They must be in the original, pharmacy-labeled container, and I don't carry more than the amount needed for the trip plus maybe 1-2 extra doses in case one gets dropped in the latrine. I've then done my imperfect best to make sure the scout gets it. I usually use a large ziplock per scout and stick a medication log in it to keep a record of when I've given each med. In my state (Texas) these simple precautions of documentation go a long way to protecting you against suit, although it is always a concern here in the Litigation Lottery state. Without my being willing to do this, one of my most favoritest girls could never have gone with us as she had severe scleroderma and although she was in high school, she needed help managing her multiple meds. No sense in asking her mom or dad to come with, she's now in state custody due to their alleged abuse and neglect.

I have also sent medications - lots of them - with written permission and excruciatingly clear instructions with my son on campouts that his dad or I couldn't attend in the past. Thank goodness we've always had leaders that didn't mind, although they haven't always remembered to chase the kid down with it. I was never angry about that, although in at least one instance it did cause some problems ... for the leader that forgot. My scouting son isn't ADHD but out-of-control OCD is just as disruptive, trust me. And unfortunately this is one of the ailments for which medication compliance is a real problem, because when the medicine is working the kid FEELS JUST FINE and there is absolutely NOTHING to make him - or you - think he still needs to take it. It will be at least 48 hours before he gets into serious trouble, but when he does it's pretty bad.

At least if he forgets his asthma meds and needs them there's a clue. It's when he starts uncontrollably coughing, soon followed in the absence of medication by turning light grey and collapsing on the ground unconscious.... Does this happen a lot? Thankfully, no. Could it happen at camp? Certainly. Would the leader like to KNOW that it could happen, and what to do if it does? Gosh, I certainly hope so! My son would be able to direct his own care for asthma all the way up to losing consciousness, but I personally feel better knowing there's an adult around with a clue.

Well, hmmm. On this as on many issues, I consider it reasonable to work it out on a case by case, kid by kid basis. I think adults that are willing to serve in this capacity should be allowed to when it will benefit a specific child; adults like Mike that do not want this responsibility shouldn't be forced to have it. What will they do, anyway, cut your pay? :)

First; Guide to Safe Scouting:

Prescriptions

"The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed."

That said, there is something that I neglected to mention in my last post. We also have parents provide a note with the name of the medication, the time(s) the medication is to be taken, the dosage to be taken, and the name of the prescribing physician with phone number. This is noted for each medication to be taken.

The boy takes his own medication as instructed by parent/physician, witnessed by an adult leader. We note the date/time and initial it. (If the boy carries an inhaler with him for instance, and uses it on his own, he is supposed to let us know used so that we can note this on the sheet) This simply provides a record for the parent upon our return, that the meds were taken by the boy and taken as instructed.

Parents are clearly instructed that it is the boy's responsibility to follow his medication regimen; not ours. We are, for lack of a better term, simply "witnesses". I see it as part of the learning responsibility aspect of scouting. My experience is that when they know it is their responsibility, most handle it better than Mom or Dad think they can.

And yes, if the boy is subject to adverse medical conditions, especially those with a rapid onset, the leader needs to know - it should have been noted on his medical form to begin with. Question for parent: "Do you and your son realize that if your son forgets his medication and goes unconscious twelve miles into a twenty-five mile hike because of it, there's not much of anything I can do for him?"