High Adventure Golf Tournament

Want to turn a game of golf into a high adventure backpacking/land navigation program.....a few years back, I wanted to play 9 holes across Death Valley (Needles to Scotty's Castle). This is how I did it, and the techniques used can be adapted, modified, and scaled back for your particular location...

Besides backpacking gear, you'll need maps (7.5 topos), compass, GPS, a good driver and a putter. Using bright orange balls will help a whole bunch. Also needed is a wooden hoop used for embrodery (4 to 6 inches in diameter).

The rules that I played by were fairly simple; no Mulligans, with par based on 10 strokes per mile.

For the first leg, the T off was at UTM 11 677621E 3865250N near Goffs (pun intended) with the first hole near Winding Stair Cave at UTM 11 635518E 3870096N about 27 miles west. As the GPS postion closed, attenion to map and compass became more and more important.

When close to the co orodinates, play would cease, the postion fixed as accurate as possible with the wooden hoop serving to mark the spot. Once marked, the ball would be putted into the hoop which served as the "hole".

The second leg was below Kelso, and ran across the Devils Playground using the same techniques as above.

Fore...