Patch crazy

BREW,

No problems.

One of the common misconceptions in my neck of the woods is that the red vest is for Cubs only, and that is not the case. An I agree it's an awesome recruiting tool. Now if only I could get my Bear to sew his patches on the vest.

And yep you are right, the CS "C", and the older "S" and "A" (man I'm showing my age) does go on the vest with all the pins on it.

To bad they don't have a CS jacket thatteh "C" can go on like Varsity.

Well I don't think we did nearly as much back in those days (early/mid 70's) as we do now.

Acording to my memory, and my mom (she was my den leader), we did a bunch of go-see-it kind of stuff (tours of a bank, burger king, etc...), but i don't ever remember going camping or any big pack level trips..... well maybe one to the zoo or something....

My son is a tiger, and we've already been on several pack level camp outs. One was the cuboree, and he got his first & so far only temporary patch for that.

I have put him in for the outdoor activity award, and we have worked on several belt loops.

I for one absolutely DO NOT like the imediate recognition emblem and beads. I think that big hunk of plastic looks cheap on what would otherwise be a respectable looking uniform. The bead concept I understand, but not sure it's necessary. Maybe it would be better in my eye if it were a little leather string with very simple attachment.

With the class B T-shirt uniform that I don't remember having, the boys don't wear the uniform all that much anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter all that much.

blw2, I don't like the immediate recognition totems either. We made Tiger versions last year from leather, using pre-cut shapes in an arrow point design that we stamped and punched with holes for the strings. I loved that my Tigers could make them with a little help.

Is that 'kosher' to make your own? Seems that it's not official uniform..... but I like the idea.

Would make a great project for the 1st den meeting, if simple enough so that the boys could make something that looks presentable.

Wolfs and Bears also have some sort of plastic bead hanger too, don't they. Could we get away with making something for that?

Kosher? Probably not. Practical and effective? Yes. If I had continued with my Tiger den, we would have made our own again. Instead the current den leader hasn't used the immediate recognition at all, nor has the Bear leader because they dislike the plastic as much as I do. So I figure something that works is better than not doing it at all.

I am not uniform police at all though. I am a stickler for rank badges being earned and worn properly, but immediate recognition totems feel more like belt loops or such to me.

WWWWWWEEEEELLLLL it depends. ( in my best DOCTOR impersonation)

A few years back, there was a problem with all BSA immediate recognition kits, and they were recalled. Units were suppose to make their own until new ones came in.

So the make your own are "vintage" ;)

Eagle

Ya remember that Unit commissioner that tried to do a uniform inspection on my boys a couple of years ago.......

Besides we get compliments all the time on them and it would be a great fundraiser.........

They look much cooler than the white plastic ones..... The best part no recall for lead....the little duffer starts chewing on this is gonna get maple splinters.....