totem pole patch display

No doubt you have all read this:

"Consider displaying temporary insignia in ways other than on the official uniform. Here are some suggestions:

1. Wear it on a BSA red patch vest, campfire robe or blanket, or special neckerchief.

2. Dispay it on a wall plaque, trophy hide, or mounted in a frame.

3. Or, make a special neckerchief slide, sectional totem pole, or flagpole insignia for display."

Some boys in our pack wear the red patch vest. I've seen blankets and ponchos covered with patches. I saw a special Scout Sunday neckerchief, but the neckerchief usually identifies your den or troop, so I don't think I would want to start covering it with patches. I can guess what a patch would look like on a wall plaque or mounted in a frame. I love seeing custom neckerchief slides, and a patch there would be neat.

But what I'm really posting to ask about today is the reference to a sectional totem pole. What is that? I mean I know what a totem pole is. We actually have one outside the elementary school where we hold our pack meetings which is probably why this jumped out to me like it did, but I can't imagine how to display patches on a totem pole.

I haven't seen one either, but I imagine you could build one out of pieces of pvc, or tin cans, or anything else you could stack and add to as you accumulate patches. Then you'd affix the patches to the outside of the cans.

I'd make a base out of a slab of wood, and glue or screw the first can to the base. Start with a fairly big can, and then stack smaller ones on top - sort of like this: http://www.freekidscrafts.com/totem_pole-e846.html

Or find a way to attach a new can with duct tape as you go up.

The thinking is that you're going to be stumbling over these patches anyway. Might as well assemble them in a way that reminds the scout of his career, but keeps his room in order.

Personally, I think a scrapbook is the best way to go. Include pictures of his friends at the activity with the patch. It's a really great gift to be able to loan out those pages for a friend's court of honor or high school graduation.