reruiter strip question

If a boy earned the recruiter patch as a cub scout, can he carry that patch over to his boy scout uniform, or not?

I don't have the insignia guide, but was asked that question by parents of a boy who will join our troop next week. You guys are such good resources, I thought someone here might know.

THanks

I would say NO because he was a cub scout recruiter, recruiting another cub scout. He is now a Boy Scout. Really, the only awards that carry over is the Arrow of Light and Religious Award. Everything less 'remains behind'. He shouldn't bring over his Cub Scout World Conservation Award, etc.

If he wants to wear a recruiter strip on his Boy Scout uniform, he needs to recruite a new Boy Scout.

Lisa,

IG doesn't specify, but the BSA literature states that only award carried over from CS is AOL. Religious award is something given by the religious organization, and the BSA recognizes with a knot, so that isn't a CS award per se.

The closest IG rule I can think of is the "Uncluttered rule"

I agree, the recruiter award does not transfer over.

According to usscouts.org, "There are NO formal requirements for these strips. Each unit establishes the procedure for awarding the strip. Usually, a Recruiter Strip is awarded to a Cub Scout or Boy Scout the first time he is successful in getting a friend, relative, classmate, or other acquaintance to join his unit. Typically, only ONE strip is awarded to a boy while he is a Cub Scout, and another may be awarded while he is a Boy Scout."

I've noted before that there are a number of other awards that could transfer over, but they are all pretty unlikely for a Cub Scout to have. Still, the recruiter award is definitely one of the ones that they mean when they say that other awards don't transfer.

As a Commissioner, when I attend one of my Troop's Meetings, I usually show up early, just so I can have some time to do a "mental" uniform inspection (and no, I do not belong to the Uniform Police ...). Sometimes I will ask Scouts about their badges, and one of my favorite questions is tied to the recruiter strip - since I normally ask them to tell me who they recruited into the Troop.

I'm sure that a rather innocent comment like that from a UC, could probably throw the young man into a real loop if he was wearing a recruiter badge from Cubs and that young man was not in the same Troop.

So I say, let him get the opportunity to be presented a new recruiter badge from his Troop.