New Centennial Uniform Shorts Questions

We had a Jambo Troop meeting yesterday and I did a presentation on uniforming. This was easy for me because I own multiple pieces of the old style shirt, pants, shorts, socks and web belt as well as all the same pieces of the Centennial uniform. I even have a pair of the first generation switchback pants with the black web belt and plastic buckle. I think I wore the switchbacks twice and absolutely hated the fit and feel.

That leads me to my questions. I was out on scoutstuff.org and came across the new Centennial Uniform short made from supplex. There are a number of features that look attractive and one that does not. Unless I'm wearing a swimsuit, I do not care for the mesh liner in shorts. That would have to go if I bought any. Has anybody bought and worn these new shorts? What did you think of them? Are the pockets mesh material on the inside or are they supplex? I don't like mesh pockets. How deep are the pockets? Are the shorts hot?

I'm very hot natured and my personal experience at the 2005 Jamboree was that I stayed wet pretty much 24/7 for 10 days in cotton. While camping with the home troop where I can wear what I want, I go almost totally synthetic as I can dry out quickly and be much more comfortable. Since I need three complete uniforms for Jambo, I'm seriously considering buying 2 sets of the synthetic uniform shirt and shorts......but I want it to be a "wise" purchase.

Sooooo, anyone tried the new shorts and what did you think of them?(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

Might as well post the description.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&c3=TROUSERS&c4=&lv=3&item=689SHORTS

$29.99

Our Centennial Supplex Uniform Short is designed to offer a Land to Water option that is functional and convenient. Stuck at the Aquatics Center before needing to report to the Mess Hall in full Class A? This new short is the answer! This short is made from 100% Supplex Nylon that is light weight and quick drying, yet a durable, athletic fabric. It is also an anti-microbial product that offers great sun protection with a UPF rating of 50 . This is a complete moisture management product.

The design features deep front pockets as well as cargo pockets and a waterproof pouch to carry all your essentials i.e. compass, money, pocket knife, etc. The left cargo pocket also has black FDL embroidery. The short features a nylon mesh lining to accommodate swimming.

We included 6 belt loops on the short to easily support our uniform belt. There is an elastic v inset at waistband for extra stretch and comfort. Logo rubber snap, d ring, and zipper pull are made of recycled trims to continue to embrace be eco-friendly.

Looks like they were designed to be "water shorts" first, which dry quickly when they are out of the water. Probably well suited to summer camp when you are canoeing one minute and in the dining hall the next. Not sure i would like them as my "every day" uniform shorts.

I don't think the new uniform shorts were meant to be swim trunks, see the official BSA Swim trunks here

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=APPAREL&c3=AOTHER&c4=&lv=3&item=644BSST

BUT if they new shorts WERE meant for swimming purposes as well as uniform purposes, my question is this:

can you wear the BSA Lifeguard, Mile Swim, Snorkling, etc aqautic awards on them? ;)

ooh, I like that idea. :-)

Wear all six of the acquatics badges on the sides of your swim trunks/uniform pants. A great option for any Scout who can't wear enough patches on his shirt.

I'm just glad we have yet another option for uniform pants. For awhile, we called them the old pants/new pants. And then there were the old old pants, and the old new pants, and the new pants. But now I'm just going to give up on trying to put a name on any particular style.