More uniform Changes?

"The guy was wearing a VINTAGE uniform, circa 1985. At that time Scouts could wear the green shirt, SCOUTS BSA strip (the shirt came with two strips unattached, one saying Exploring BSA and the other SCOUTS BSA) and was authorized for older scouts and leaders in troops with the red loops. teh guy is our resident historian and always wears vintage uniforms. Rumor is he trying to get a vintage 1910s uniform, or reproduction, for the council's regional jamboree."

You didn't mention that it was being worn in a historical sense.

However, he's a little off. The red loops were NEVER worn with the green shirt.

You are speaking of the Leadership Corps program, which was rolled out in 1972 for troops. Boys (and only boys) in the Corps were allowed to wear the green uniform with "Scouts BSA" strip. This ended in 1979 when the green shirt was dropped the first time.

When the green shirt was brought back in 1985, it was only for use by Explorers, not Leadership Corps members and never by adults in troops. I never saw anything in writing from that time that gave such authorization (and I've looked). If such authorization exists, I'd like to see it. What has happened is a lot of adult recall the use of the green shirt by the Corps and thought they could continue to do so, even today.

I have a large person collection of literature on the old boy programs and have setup a website detailing all this.

Emb,

My circa 1987 Leadership Corps book does mention the green and red combination. I say circa 1987 as that is when the round LC patch came out and that is shown in the book instead of teh LC trapezoid. I'll double check tonite for you.

Also sorry about the confusion. Yep this guy is a serious collector/historian. You may have seen him at NOAC as I believe he was on the museum staff. That or OATC exhibit staff as he is one of the Founding Fathers of OATC.

"My circa 1987 Leadership Corps book does mention the green and red combination. I say circa 1987 as that is when the round LC patch came out and that is shown in the book instead of teh LC trapezoid. I'll double check tonite for you."

1987 was when the 'second edition' of the book came out (new cover artwork) and the round LC patch.

I have that book and recall nothing said about using the green shirt. I have both editions of the LC booklet. I also have an interesting card in my collection with both strips and instructions on which one to use.

"Also sorry about the confusion. Yep this guy is a serious collector/historian. You may have seen him at NOAC as I believe he was on the museum staff. That or OATC exhibit staff as he is one of the Founding Fathers of OATC."

Sadly I was never able to get over to the Museum @ NOAC. Was hoping to do so the last day, but then they switched our schedule for The Experience, and I couldn't get over there. :(

"What you think about changing venturing's loop colors to maroon?"

Be a problem to get people to switch over would be my feeling. Had they done it from day one, may have worked. But considering how some troops are making their own red loops, I wonder how some in Venturing would react.

I pulled out my Leadership Corps booklets from my library to check. There were 2 versions, the original one done in 1972 (#6503) and the revised one done in 1987 (#6503A). The text of both are almost the same.

The 1972 edition gives the leadership corps the option to wear the green shirt and green slacks with the red beret. They had to wear the "scouts bsa" strip. This option, AFAIK, NEVER extended to adults working with the corps.

The 1987 edition says the leadership corps will wear the same uniform as the rest of the troop.

SO, the 1987 edition does NOT give the leadership corps the right to wear the green Explorer shirt with red loops, just as I said (and noted at my website). I never saw such a policy in writing. As noted, when the explorer shirt was dropped and then brought back, the right of the LC to wear it didn't come back.