unofficial patrol patches

One of the 2005 Jamboree Patrols was the Oompa-Loompas.

One of the ASM's found a picture of an Oompa-Loompa, copied it and had the one of the professionals order it.

The patches came.

Soon after the Pro called me saying that the patch company owner was upset, it seems his son of the owner, who took the order hadn't checked the copyright!

Sadly it was a little too late. The patches had been given to the Scouts and many had them on their uniform.

This would have been a real case for the uniform police.

Ea.

In regards to the some people getting to specific about uniforms:

That's what a uniform is. It teaches unity and there is something spectacular about a the experience of feeling how you're part of something greater than yourself. Don't take my word for it, go to a jamboree and see 40,000 scouts dressed the same. It's about looking sharp. It teaches discipline, respect, and it is physical reinforcement that the whole of the organization is more important than the stylistic uniform interpretation of an individual.

In regards to making your own:

The BSA sells official patrol patch blanks ($1.99). Check with a local embroider for pricing. On things like that, the most expensive part is usually the set up. We always managed to find a mom with the necessary equipment in the my troops growing up. Expect to spend a few dollars in thread and you should be good to go.