Ok so im not a scouter....

yes step parent's are welcome, and welcome to the forum. Been very hectic weekend and I wan tto apologize for not welcoming you.

now in reference to the uniform and dinner, I am assuming that you are talking about summer camp. If that's the case, what i've seen happen is that Scouts are usually in regular clothes and scout t-shirt throughout the day. The only time they wear the uniform is the opening campfire, flag retirement and dinner, parent's campfire, and closing campfire.

Climberslacker, you sound like an SPL I can relate to! I remember being the only guy in high school wearing a uniform on scout day (decades ago!). I've since lightened up on this method after I realized how much it costs to keep two boys in class A's. Even after accounting for Thrift stores and a troop hand-me-down program, 1 full uniform = 1 wilderness backpacking weekend.

So keep up the postitive reinforcement, and don't forget to thank parents for making the sacrifice to keep their kids looking clean and sharp.

There's one other thing that I'd suggest. Make sure you're not overlooking what the untidy boys may contribute to your troop. Perhaps they are first to shuck the uniform and dig the latrine or set up the axe yard. Maybe they are the ones who can change a bike chain or check the oil in a car at fuel stops.

If a boy knows you appreciate him, he may eventually fall in line with the uniform.

asichacker, welcome to the forum.

If you got the impression that step-parents are unwelcome, that is really unfortunate. I don't think that's typical at all for most scout troops I've been around. In fact most are happy to have any adult who is willing to support the kids in whatever way they are able. Blended families are just part of reality, no big deal.

You said you hadn't been hiking/fishing/camping since you were a kid. Doesn't mean there's no place for you though! If you still would enjoy those activities, you could become an Assistant Scoutmaster, get trained, and go on some outings. You'll learn pretty quickly what has changed, and you'll remember pretty quickly all the things you used to know. If you would rather not go camping, there is still the troop committee. Committee members aren't necessarily going to go on the outings, but they are still really important to making a troop function well. Again - sign up, get trained, and offer your time or talent or whatever you are comfortable with. There are jobs big and small that need doing in every troop. Talk to the troop committee chair to find out how you can help.

Uniforms are expensive, I agree. Scouts could use whatever fund raisers the troop does to help defray the cost. You could also save some money by purchasing gently used items (ebay is good for this), or perhaps your son's troop has a uniform exchange that you could make use of. Also I think the national supply for BSA, scoutstuff.org, was running a sale on the "old" zip-off type pants, which are very popular with most boys. You might check there and maybe buy a size up from what he's wearing now.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you'll stick around for a bit.