NEW Uniform Inspection sheets!

It's official ... the "Trained" strip goes on pocket flap.

Here are the links:

Boy Scout: http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34283.pdf

Scout leader:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf

Cub Scout:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34282.pdf

Webelos:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34760.pdf

Still no new Insignia Guide either orderable or online, and the Forms section on scouting.org hasn't been updated yet, either.

Also still doesn't answer what color number CS leaders and Webelos in tan uniform wear. Also the BS form doesn't really differentiate the color of the numbers on the "Official Uniform Shirt" and the "Official Shirt."

Yeah, I guess "Centennial uniform shirt" isn't the official name of the "new" uniform shirt.

The "official shirt" vs. "official uniform shirt" terms are used a couple of times, but of course don't make any sense (in good BSA style) since an "official uniform shirt" is by definition an "official shirt"!

The intent is pretty clear in that they are distinguishing the old and new shirts, but the terminology is terrible.

Regarding the unit numerals (and the commissioner arrowhead), I assume (perhaps naively) that they will be addressed in the Insignia Guide.

(This message has been edited by AlFansome)

In looking at the BS Inspection Sheet again, it appears that with the "official uniform shirt" you can still wear the red numbers because that is shown in the photo. Also is it just me, but does the diagram for the " official shirt" look as if the red numbers are worn on it as well as well? Sorry to be nit picky, but I know of commissioners who are that nit picky when they do uniform inspections.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

It does give the impression that red numerals can be worn on the Centennial Uniform. If they wanted olive green numbers they should have done a negative image and had dark numbers on a lighter border in the picture of sleeve set-ups. They also could have stated the correct protocol in the unit numeral section.

Hopefully the new Insignia Guide will settle it.

This issue was addressed a few months ago when I goined the forum.

I know the new insignia guide will be the end all-be all for answers (yeah right), but this is the answer I got.

I called directly to National Supply a couple months back when I got my shirt and was told that Cub Leaders and Webelos will still wear the red numbers and blue epaulet tabs on the Centennial Uniforms.

No green numbers/tabs until Boy Scouts.(This message has been edited by sarge)

Sarge,

I hear ya. I am trying to point out the inconsistancies that are coming out of supply as it is causing confusion among experienced and new leaders alike, at least in my area. Again it makes it appear that the new uniform came out hapazardly.

Then when you get the terminology like "official shirt" and "official uniform shirt," it makes it appear that two shirts are needed, one for activities, and one for ceremonies and meetings. Again it can be confusing for the new leaders/scouts/parents.

OOPS! Momentary sexist cluelessness! Forgot that we have women leaders in the in Boy Scouts. Apologies if I have offended any of the fine women scouters who post on this site.

That said I can't remember the last time I saw a woman leader in a skirt around here they seem to prefer the pants. I wonder how many of the scout skirts they sell?

Sheepishly,

Hal

If I remember correctly, the Boy Scout skirt was an actual skirt, while the Cub Scout version was culottes. Never owned either. I didn't like the culottes so I bought a skirt the same blue color and wore that at our Blue and Gold banquet every year, along with my yellow blouse. I still see a few female Cub leaders in the yellow blouse, but most prefer the tan. As a Boy Scouter now, I doubt I will find a reason to buy the skirt - I really like the new pants.

Interesting uniforming tidbit here: Female leaders in Cub Scouts can wear the patch for National Camping School above the right pocket, but female Boy Scout leaders must wear it on the pocket like other temporary patches. Not sure why the difference, except maybe it has something to do with JAMBO patches.

GWD,

Once upon a time National sold pants, shorts, skirts, and cullottes in both the blue and the green for the ladies. Being a guy I couldn't understand why all those items in stock as they took up space,which was at a premium at my old store, and were a pain in the buttocks when inventory time came along.