scout leader neckerchiefs

Frank,

Yep lead by example. One of the cooler things about neckers, especially out of the country, is that they have some meaning behind them. getting to know those stories can be a great way to meet people.

A few custom neckers here in the US also have special meanings, like my old troop's with a keystone shaped patch with tent and feet inside of it.

Since #1 I like to set the example and #2 I like to talk to scouts about some of the great opportunities in Scouting, I've started wearing a different necker each month. Opened up some great conversations, especially the European ones in my collection!

I recently found the one Ebay item I have been looking for since the beginning. I have several old well worn versions of my boyhood troops neckerchief from the early 1970's. But I have always hoped to find a "mint" version to put in my collection. A few weeks ago I found a seller with not one, but two of them. I snapped them up and can now die a happy man!

Like a previous poster, I also enjoy wearing some of those old "throwback" neckerchiefs and patches. I'm proud of my old days and sometimes they are a conversation starter with the boys. It let's them know I have walked in their shoes...a looooong time ago!

Ken

Our Scouters wear the troop neckerchief which currently is just the red BSA neckerchief with black piping. I have an ongoing task to guide the Scouts to something more specialized. I have not got there yet.

When I first joined the troop I had just one red neckerchief and it needed washed after each monthly campout. Since my Scout neckerchief being clean is not on anybody's priority list I developed a personal tradition. I wear one of the neckerchiefs I got as a Scout to the first meeting after a campout. I have several West Point Camporee neckerchiefs I wear which always raise questions.

Whenever I attend an ECOH I always wear my NESA Neckerchief.

Please don't put me in the patch police catagory that is not my intent but I stumbled across this several years ago and found it interesting -

The Gilwell Scarf does not entitle you to consider yourself a thing apart. Your Troop or District must as much as ever command your first allegiance. (As the outward sign of this your troop scarf not the Gilwell scarf should be worn when working with your troop.) BP Head Quarters Gazette October 1923

I think it came from "Footsteps of the Founder" for those who are interested.