Venturing Forum Commissioner POR

Venturing Roundtable was just renamed "Monthly Program Forum".

This was done in 2007.

They haven't put out new office patches for this yet, and I'm really not holding my breath for them to do so. There are several more important items I am expecting to come out for Venturing.

Frankly, is it a major issue??? I know in my area we still call them Venturing Roundtables. That's what most people think of them as.

Let's see...

Long delayed update to the Venturing Leader Specific Training. (a draft was done, and I thought the final version was coming out this Fall).

New training for youth such as Venturing Vector/Teaching Others and Mentoring, along with the new National Venturing Leadership Society. (was bothered by the fact that a new training course planned at PTC in 09 that would have introduced these things is now gone from the schedule).

Delayed update to the "Here's Venturing: Delivering Venturing to Council/District". (was supposed to come out this Fall)

Our council Venturing Chair was a part of the team re-writing the Leader Training syllabus, and also had a heavy hand in most of the material for the Vector course, which had it's pilot debut in our council back in April. Vector, for those who are unaware, is a weekend leadership training program--not training to be a leader, training to be a leading trainer; I dislike comparing it to "Train-the-Trainer," but this does convey the topic effectively. I have seen these materials, and am impressed with what was done.

I have, however, heard that many of the recomended changes (both courses) were met with much resistance at the highest levels of the program. In fact, some people have dismissed the whole of the Vector course as being a skill wholly unnecessary for Venturers (I know, that's like saying it is inappropriate for boy scouts to spend their time learning "camping" skills!). As a result, I fear these programs may, at best, be delayed in their implementation. I am not an insider with this information, but I do get it from a reliable source.

• 2 months later...

With regard to the original question,I asked the same to Bill Evans,last staff member of the former Venturing Division,now assigned to general training.He responded that they knew this was something that should be done to be consistant with the new terminology,but with many changes in the national office it wasn't a top priority.He mentioned that perhaps when the current stock of Venturing Commissioner and Comissioner Staff patches were low enough the change might be made by the Supply Group.

I have observed that different people have different priorities for numerous reasons.I believe that if an organization decides to change an aspect of a program it should identify all the items that will be affected,and attempt to change them all at about the same time.The BSA hasn't always been the most consistant in doing this.I've found that its staff in the national office are usually aware of subjects such as this,and will work on addressing them,while having to follow their internal procedures.It should be interesting to observe whether the recent reorganization of the national offices changes this for the better or the worse.