Uniforms & popcorn sales

From the SM Handbook: "Do not wear the uniform while selling a commercial product or service, even for Scout fundraising purposes."

From the Popcorn sales flyer: Multiple pictures of scouts (all levels) selling popcorn & "Wear your uniform while selling" as a sales tip.

Can somebody reconcile the two, or did I miss somethging in my SM training class 5 years ago? Just curious.

Frank17 and Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

We had this as a brief discussion during our Fall training, (What the policies are and when the uniform can be worn) and quickly looked at the Unit Money Earning Application.

I am not looking at my manuals right now. But expect the Cub Leader and Venturing Leader manuals will have a similar statement to the Scoutmaster Handbook.

About 10 years ago there was an infomercial on late night TV selling fishing rods which had a troop discussing how well the fishing rod worked and how many fish they caught during a weekend campout. About a month later, the same commercial was still showing, but the shirts were pixelated, and the 30 minute informercial was cut from 30 minutes down to 15 minutes. The product appeared to be good, the Scouts seem to be honest(which it all was probably a true statement); but it appeared like the entire BSA was endorsing these fishing rods, not just this one troop.

The unit money earning application has a few paragraphs that specifically cover it. (Specifically paragraph six.)

On the front of the application.

Will your members be in uniform while carrying out this project? (See items 36 on other side.)

On the back of the application.

6. If a commercial product is to be sold, will the fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily for use in connection with Scouting activities. However, council executive boards may approve use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity.

Hope this helps!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)