Yellow Ribbon Badge

First a little background . . . I live and volunteer my time to scouting in a military town (I am in my first year as a returning scouter after a significant break). The overwhelming majority of our cubs and their parents are either members of families with active duty soldiers, reservists, or veterans. Our local division has been deeply embroiled in the second Iraq War, having led the invasion and with subsequent redployments.

Now to the issue . . . the Pack Leader, his wife, and several other leaders and committee members wear yellow ribbon pins on their Class A uniforms. Is this authorized?

Nope. You're supposed to wear the yellow ribbon around your neck in the winter and the merry month of May.

Like parent pins, and flag pins, yellow or red or green or pink ribbons don't belong on a BSA uniform. For some reason people feel compelled to decorate their Scouting uniforms with extra do-dads, as if we don't have enough do-dads already.

Gold Winger

Is right.

I do have to admit that when I was CM most of the Den Leaders in the Pack wear these.

I chose to take plenty of no notice.

Some things are just not worth the effort.

Each of us makes the choice what we will wear on our uniform.

The BSA expects us to do the right thing.

When we do the right thing we are setting the right example for the youth we serve.

But when we start trying to push these little things, we end up causing more problems and upsetting the adults we need to work along side and with.

Eamonn.

I'ld wear my yellow ribbons on my right sleeve to show I'm a Quiet Curlew of a Brownsea 22 Troop :)

Seriously though if you want to wear the yellow ribbon, wear it on the right pcokect as temproray insignia.

I'ld wish I got one when I saw them, put they sold out like hotcakes. One LtCol. had IF/GWOT support the troops patches made as temproary insifnia, with the money going to the units he was affilaited with. Thus it not only showed support for out troops, but also was a fundraiser of sorts for the troop and pack. At least in my council, those units that depend on military personall for volunteers are havign a hard time right now.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

This yellow ribbon in question, is it a patch or a small Support the Troops Ribbon.

If it is a patch that is earned, then worn as temporary insignia is OK.

If it a support the troops ribbon, then I would say wear it on certain occasions, veterans day, memorial day, etc. Or if you are doing something that is directly related to supporting the troops. This can be working with a veterans organization. (VFW, American Legion, SAL)

The yellow ribbon is something that I see as over used. If you wear it on certain occasions, when it is significant, then it has more meaning. That is my opinion.

As for putting them on the uniform on that special occasion, BSA, GSUSA, Police, EMS, Fire Dept, and just about everyone else in and out of uniform will have one on certain occasions. Why burn energy when it can be used towards something more productive.