CUB Scout Uniform

We are about to order uniforms for my Tiger Cub den. I went to our regional supply store a few weeks back, and they helped me get my uniform together. He explained they are now using the new Centennial Uniform made of nylon. Being an avid outdoor person, this made alot of sence to me as I understand about the wicking issuues. However, when I try to find info about the uniform for my Tiger Cubs, it just shows the old cotton blue uniform. Is the new Centennial Uniform only for adult leaders & BOY Scouts, but not CUB Scouts yet? Thanks for any help.

The "Centennial Uniform" is a new tan/green version. The tan/green uniform is worn by leaders, Boy Scouts, and Webelos Cub Scouts.

So far, that is the only uniform that has changed, although I would think that updates for the other levels would be coming eventually.

Currently Cub Scouts wear the blue uniform. They do have the option of zip off bottoms.

Question - Why are you ordering the uniforms for your entire den? They really should be tried on individually to make sure how each boy fits. Also, some families might not be willing to pay full price for a uniform and would rather buy from garage sales, thrift shops, or e-bay.

I would not go up a size with the Cub Scout pants. In my experience they run quite large. Even with the waist cinched up, the size 6 still seems a little large for my average-sized 6 year old.

We've also had problems with the material tearing out at the side seam. It's not the stitching failing, it's the fabric. The 8 year old is on his second pair and they've come apart in the last month. First pair was replaced at our local scout shop. Since it's happened again, I'm going to try and move up the ladder a little to see if this is something that needs to be investigated.

AnaMarie,

1) RETURN THOSE PANTS they are guarenteed so if there is a problem, return them. Also Supply division needs them fro verification of problem purposes.

2) Write a letter to you scout shop manager. While they may not be able to do much, they do forwatrd those up the chain of command. At least that's what my old boss did.

Yep I've had problems with the fabric and stiches on a pair of scout pants before. national took care of it.

• 3 weeks later...

My son is not a typical 7 year old. He's already pushing 5 feet tall. He weighed in at 92 pounds in the nurses office for his second grade physical.

Not fat, by any stretch. Well proportioned. He wears 14-16 cloths in general and wears bigger shoes than my wife.

He wore my Bear uniform when he was a Tiger.

The blue cub pants I bought him this year are cinched up several notches. (Thank heaven for adjustable waist clothing.)

When grandma hemmed the legs, she left them long enough to extend when he grows even taller. But I'm noticing that the leg bottoms have developed a whitish line at the crease where they are turned under.

Obviously, this would show if we extend the legs later on.

He will be able to wear the upper portion of the pants for years to come. But I am concerned with the appearances of the legs in the future.

Does the BSA sell JUST the lower legs for the cub switchbacks? Or will I be SOL - stuck with a pair of shorts and be buying another set of pants down the line?

I would not worry about the lighter colored line. Your son only needs the blue uniform until the end of 3rd grade. Rather than buy a new pair of pants for only 1 year, get used to the line.

I have also heard of folks covering the line up somewhat with a navy sharpie.

"When grandma hemmed the legs, she left them long enough to extend when he grows even taller. But I'm noticing that the leg bottoms have developed a whitish line at the crease where they are turned under.

Obviously, this would show if we extend the legs later on."

Ah, memories of my youth. I grew up in the days when pants were hemmed to not drag on the ground. My mother, like most mothers, would buy my pants a couple inches long at the beginning of the school year and hem them up. Later they become flood pants and after that, she'd let down the bottoms to show the white stripe. Everybody had them back then so there wasn't that much grief except from the kids who weren't growing.