Patch Placement

While attending ArrowCorps5 at GW Jeff, we were given a patch which has all 5 sites listed along with the US Forest Service shield. This patch, and a back patch like it, are available through the OA trading post. I was told that this is a "National Event" patch which can be worn above the right pocket. Others stated that only Jamboree (National and World) patches could be worn above the right pocket (other than organization strip, interpreter, name tag, etc). My 1999 insignia guide indicates that both a World and a National Jamboree patch may be worn at the same time if attended by the individual and doesn't mention anything about "National Event" patches. Do any of the more current issues address this? Is there an official statement from National?

Yes, there is an official statement from the national council:

http://www.scouting.org/Media/InsigniaGuide.aspx

Note there is nothing mentioned about any "national event", but it does classify OA issued patches as being temporary insignia which may be worn on the right pocket.

Only one jamboree patch is worn on the uniform, unless the 2nd patch is from a world jamboree in which case it goes on the right pocket, not above where it would crowd with a national jamboree patch

Building off of what FScouter stated (note, nothing he posted is incorrect).

There was a period of time in the 80s and 90s when we were allowed to wear a National and World Jamboree patch side by side above the right pocket. At some point (mid-1990s?), they decided to drop that practice, and if you want to wear both a National and World Jamboree patch on your uniform at the same time, the National one goes above the pocket, the World on the pocket.

If you want to wear just ONE Jamboree patch (whether National or World) it goes above the pocket.

At the recent World Jamboree, there seemed to be some confusion amoung some scouts/scouters about wearing the World Jamboree patch and the BSA Contingent patch. The WSJ was to go above the pocket, the BSA contingent on the pocket, but some got confused and I saw a few with the BSA contingent patch above the pocket and similiar nonsense.

I have also come across stuff now and then where people were wearing other patches above the right pocket (not speaking of the intepreter strip or the Venture or Varsity strips, which are ok). AFAIK, they aren't always allowed:

* various "International Jamborees". If its a Jamboree of a foreign country, I think it would be ok to wear above the right pocket. Nothing says that the 'National Jamboree' patch you wear must be from the US. An 'international camporee' IMO doesn't count.

* Gettysburg Historical Trails patch. I've run into people wearing it above the right pocket, claiming that 'someone' (no idea who) got permission from National (uh, and this is stated WHERE?) that these patches can be worn above the right pocket. Never seen proof of this, so am doubteful.