Help boys pick a den emblem

I'm a new den mom and looking for any suggestions on how to help a Webelos Den pick an emblem without causing too much conflict? I can't imagine 9 boys all agreeing on the same animal.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the Forums.

Remember that Webelos are still within the Cub Scout program... they aren't yet Boy Scouts, and the Patrol Method is not yet in the lexicon. You can make the decision for them, if they get out of control.

One option is to give them a limited set of choices to begin with...

I've seen it done a couple of ways. One is to just let them talk amongst themselves and see if they come up with a consensus. I've seen that happen.

If that doesn't happen, you can have them vote on it. A simple vote is straightforward enough. Although, if you want to try to make it more fun, you might also try some emblem single-elimination tournament, or an emblem "Survivor", where they vote them out one at a time. You could also ask them to list what characteristics they would look for in an emblem (fast, strong, tastes good, whatever) and then have them go through the emblems looking for that characteristic.

Different dens do it different ways. Sometimes each boy is asked for a suggestion, sometimes they are given a list to pick from. Secret ballot is often used, although discussion sometimes works depending on the boys.

Something funny this year. We always announce the new Webelo Den names at our Blue & Gold. This year one of the new Webelo dens used secret ballot and had a tie vote. They revoted and the winner was one that hadn't even tied! But best was they didn't find out until the banquet when they were told that one of their sisters cast the tie breaking vote and they were now the Hello Kitty den! There were some funny faces...but they are now the American Eagle den.

Welcome gagnier65 to the boards.

Our Webelos work with their Den Chief to come up with a short list of things they would like (usually everybody has a favorite). From there they simply use a straightforward vote, with the Den Chief empowered to break ties if the boys ultimately can't settle upon one on their own. "Do you really want to be the Grunting Gophers or would you rather be the Radioactive Dragons of Fate?" Sometimes its a cool name that makes the decision.

Oh yea - remember - you aren't a den mother (that name went out a while ago). You are a Den Leader - mothers clean up after messy boys - leaders show them how to clean up after themselves. :)

Have great fun in Webelos - I've been thru it twice and it was the best.

YiS

Michelle

We had our guys vote both times and it worked out pretty well, believe it or not. Sometimes all it takes is for a boy to suggest a cool name to go with one of the animals, and the rest jump on that bandwagon. But I like some of the more fun ideas suggested above - particularly the idea of picking characteristics they care about first (tastes good??! that one has me laughing). After all, symbols should have some meaning behind them.(This message has been edited by lisabob)

I NEVER made that mistake. Maybe today that's the case but not back in 1903 when I was a boy.

FWIW, my son's den elected to stay in blue shirts with a den number when they became Webelos. The DL tried and tried to change their minds but as one said, "We're in Cub Scouts not Boy Scouts."