Good Turn for America Patch

I am checking to see if anyone knows the ruled about the Good Turn for America patch that is worn aboce the right pocket. It is a circular patch, that has a new "year" banner each year that you earn it, that goes around the original patch.

Anyway, my son earned this as a cub scout, and has earned the year badge each year that he has been in. He just crossed over into Boy Scouts. Our Troop does participate in the Good Turn for America. Does he need to take off his old one, and re earn the entire circle patch? Or should he leave it on, and just earn the year banners like he has in the past?

Any ideas are appreciated.

~Pixie

I don't think you'll find this explicitly documented anywhere, but I would say that he should leave it on and just add the rockers. I believe the program is designed to end after rockers form a complete circle around the badge in 2010, so keeping the Cub Scout years on there serves to make it complete.

You could move it and when others ask, "Why?" you'd have a chance to explain where it is supposed to go. Of course, an argument would ensue and you'd be shouted down as a heretic and be forced out of the community to live as a recluse in a tarpaper shack, fighting with the dogs for scraps of food. BUT you'd know that you were in the right. :-)

When I became the Scoutmaster I just went ahead and moved...

INTO A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

and yes, I'm enjoying my Gov't cheese, thank you.

I think most people are wearing it over the top of the pocket because it is easier to sew there. Not that it is right, but probably one person in the area sewed it on and it "became" the right(wrong) place to have it.

Original question I think you should go ahead and keep it for the reasons stated above.

"I think most people are wearing it over the top of the pocket because it is easier to sew there. Not that it is right, but probably one person in the area sewed it on and it "became" the right(wrong) place to have it. "

Getting back to the original thread.

Actually, no, I don't think that's the reason.

The area above the right pocket has for decades been reserved for Jamboree patches. Every so often I see people wearing other patches in that location, usually because they think they are 'important' patches that 'deserve' to go up there (as well as the fact they've never been to a jamboree, and so probably want to 'fill the space').

Just to clarify,emb021, my experience with this patch is from Cubs, so I don't think they'd have a Jamboree patch. As far as the Scouts, I have only been to 2 meetings (son just bridged) and I don't know that I was thinking enough about it to acctually look and see where those boys have it. Although, I'm still pretty sure they have it in the wrong(albeit customary to our local) place!

~Pixie