New Wolf Scouts need uniforms and hats-any help?

We have two boys-about size 8-in need of a shirt and hat. I will get the patches and the rest, books, etc. I am their Wolf leader. Our Cubmaster did not seem too phased when they signed up and almost passed out as she rattled off the $85.00 fee and $100.00 (required amount) of Popcorn to be sold. I myself could not follow her logic. There was something about this was connected to a reduction in dues and the amout was actually $125.00...I don''t know...anyway. One boy is Middle Eastern and I told the dad, no one is turned away, this boy will be a scout-don''t worry...(even if I pay!) anyone have a used shirt!

Check first to see if your council runs a uniform exchange. Many do. They have "experienced" shirts for which they charge a minimal amount (or nothing). Check your local Salvation Army/St. Vincent dePaul/Goodwill, to see if any have been donated. Check vintage clothing stores if there are good ones in your area. Finally, check on eBay. There are lots available right now, but they''re going for a premium because of high demand this time of year.

My first port of call would be the Webelos Scout Den Leader.

If they (The Webelos Scouts) have gone from the Blue to the Tan Shirts, they might be willing to pass them on.

Next have a word with the person who keeps the membership records any little Lads who have quit Cub Scouting, more than lightly have no need for their uniforms.

I strongly urge you to resist from putting your hand in your pocket for a specific Cub Scout or family.

I know this is just an Eamonnisum, but I feel by doing so you are running the risk of getting hurt.

What happens when or if the Lad decides that he wants to quit and doesn''t return the shirt (or whatever)?

My guess is that you will feel hurt and let down.

If you have some extra cash that you want to invest in the Pack? It might be better that you talk with the Pack Committee Chair about starting a fund within the Pack that helps boys who need a hand.

While I''m on my high horse!!

I also feel that parents do need to put their hand in their pocket and pay for something.

They need to feel that they have some kind of an investment in what their son does.

While I would never tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money. A pet peeve of mine is a parent telling me that they can''t afford something as they puff away on a cigarette. (Yes I''m a smoker!!) While I do think $11.99 for a Wolf Cap is a bit over the top, it is about the cost of three packs of cigarettes.

Like it or not Scouting is not a free activity and parents and Scouts are expected to find the money necessary for their son to participate, be it through fund raising event participation or writing a check.

Our Council has a fairly good Campership program that helps families send their Scouts to camp, but the fund never provides more than 50% of the camp fee and does take into consideration participation in fund raising events (Not just popcorn.)

mom23scouts

You really do have a kind heart and I''m sure you want to do what is best for these Lads, but be very careful you don''t over do it!!

You are not going to around them forever!! If they are ever to really participate in a full Scouting program they will need to do their bit. Maybe it''s for the best that they understand this from the very start.

Kinda of "Tough Love"?

Welcome To The Forum.

Eamonn

• 3 weeks later...

"While I would never tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money. A pet peeve of mine is a parent telling me that they can''t afford something as they puff away on a cigarette."

We had a Scout who's father bought three motorcycles in one year but complained about the cost of the uniform. I found his son a complete uniform (shirt, pants, cap) at a yard sale for $10. I bought it and gave it to the boy. The father promised to pay me back but six years later I havne't seen a penny.

It is a matter of what matters.

Goldwinger, I have also done what you did, and for the small amount of coin I'm out, its a bargain to see the Scouts wear a uniform and be proud they NOW have one.

One boy I helped get uniformed recently dropped out...or better, has stopped coming to meetings. I seen him friday evening while I was picking my daughter up from a middle school dance. This young man told me how his new job is going and that his grades are better this year...Scouting never got mentioned in our conversation, but it was apparent this young man is still a good kid....A little Scouting CAN go a long ways!

"Cast your bread upon the waters...."