Have you ever noticed.....???

I think its integrity not self-respect.

And while I hope that the currently serving forces have all of the good qualities I remember, it's true that Scouting and the Military have different aims - but both do tend to encourage leadership development.

When you know how you feel about Scouting (hopefully good) it still takes more integrity than self-respect to wear the complete uniform. You can have all of the self-respect in the world and still not do the right thing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, Beavah, tell me why boys in one Troop wear the uniform comppletely and correctly, while the boys in another Troop just down the street wear only the shirt? These boys all go to the same school, and are from similar economic backgrounds. In fact, there are 4 Troops in our immediate area. Three have very good uniforming, while the fourth is poor. What is the difference? I'll help you out - the leaders. The leaders at the 3 with good uniforming set a good example and set high expectations. The 4th doesn't. Don't tell me the boys won't wear it, or that it is only the adults that expect it. The 3 Troops with good uniforming demand that the adult leaders wear the complete uniform as well. If they want to be Scouts, they should wear the uniform. Some boys are going to push the limits and try to get away with wearing jeans or other pants. It is up to the leaders (adult and boy) to set the boundaries, or to let them slide. Once the boys see the uniforming boundaries slide, they will see they can push other boundaries as well.

Beavah - what do your Scouts wear when they go for their Eagle BOR? Scouts honor on your answer, eh?

The official uniform is for Troop meetings. It is designed to reflect what a boy wants. Think of it in 4 quadrants. 1st is right sleeve - a boy wants to be in a gang of friends, his patrol. 2nd is right pocket - a boy wants adventure - activity patch. 3rd is left pocket - a boy wants recognition - his rank patch. 4th is left sleeve - a boy wants to lead - POR patch. The uniform serves the purpose for Troop meetings.

The BSA has activity uniforms that cover a broad range of climates and acitivities - the Switchback pants and the nylon activity shirt (long or short-sleeve). I don't have a problem dressing for 95% of Scout activities with both the official and activity uniform.

• 2 months later...

"Cargo pocket -invented by the military to carry claymore mines."

Not so. The US paratroopers had cargo pockets in WW II, claymore weren't developed until the 50's and not adopted until 1960.

As for other parts of this thread, just like the military the Boy Scout have a dress uniform (oddly we call it a field uniform) and multiple uniforms for outdoor wear. My son's troop has a troop t-shirt, troop sweatshirt and troop jacket.

" Boys recognize their own troop-mates and patrol-mates without a uniform."

Using this argument, there is no need for a basketball team to wear a uniform.

"If so, then we need to have a uniform that the kids are proud to wear in public."

The style of the uniform is irrelevant, the Scout needs to be proud of being a Scout. It is cool to play soccer but it ins't cool to be a Scout so wearing the uniform is uncool.

In olden days, the Scout Uniform was a rugged piece of clothing that could stand up to camping and other outdoor activities. Also, boys back then didn't have closets and drawers filled with clothes upon clothes so having a special outfit made sense so you wouldn't ruin your school clothes.

It would be nice to go back to the durable uniform of olden days. One that could survive camping and rock climbing. As for helping out wherever, why whould I wear a sheriff's jacket? I'm not a deputy. I could throw an orange vest on over my uniform but the uniform would still identify what group I'm with.

As for Bevah's disdain for "spit and polish," I'm always spit and polish. I wear my pants up where they belong, my underwear doesn't show, my shoes are clean and shined. My pants are pressed as are my shirts. If I dress that way normally, why wouldn't I in my Scouter uniform?