Switchback Warning & lesson

Just a quick lesson learned for the rest of you.. Don't use a "Stain-stick" on the olive green Scout switchbacks.. It very much lightens the color in the area you apply it. !! I guess my new switchbacks are relegated to camp duty alone ... And I was getting to like them for all around wear.

Aside: I do wish we had made a more rugged version .. The Supplex is good for kayak/canoe and beach trips (general non-rugged use).. Something along the lines of a heavy weave water resistant duck material would be more handy for most camping trips. (ala Carhart material quality - treated for water repellancy)... I am not a fan of cotton either - and especially dislike jeans in the outdoors, but something more rugged than nylon is needed..

Of course if I were the boss of the uniform scene, we would be in a medium khaki tropical-weight wool outfit - with matching heavy wool scout smock/jacket for winter use...

Those who don't know the magic of properly woven and treated wool usually cringe when they hear me say the four letter word.. But there are a few out there who know what I am talking of and I have almost converted a few Scouters and Scouts to understand the magic of wool..

After many years of disappointment and dollars down the hole, I have abandoned almost all of my expensive synthetic outerwear for the wool and other traditional approaches.. My wool and canvas jackets will last multiple generations and my synthetics did not even last a few years without failing.