Pinning a badge on top of another

In the parent thread, MarkS mentioned that it's ok to pin one badge of office on top of another one, temporarily. Does anyone know if there's an actual reference for this? I haven't heard of it, and I haven't seen it done. On the other hand, I can't find any reference pro or con in the Insignia Guide. (I don't see any reference to wearing two sets of shoulder loops at the same time, either, though, and I'm pretty sure most people would view that as incorrect.) It would seem to be that it wouldn't be technically correct to wear one badge pinned on top of another, but I'll take arguments either way.

It seems like the more common solution to holding multiple offices is to use Velcro and swap the patches. I've noticed that a lot of the time this ends up not looking all that great either.

Oak Tree

As an adult member, I hold two offices: ASM in the troop and Associate Chapter Advisor for the OA lodge. I decided to have a shirt for each one. Since the ASM shirt is worn mostly indoors, it has everything: CSP, unit numbers, POR, square knots, etc, etc. The Associate Chapter Advisor shirt only has a CSP, lodge flap and POR patch. I'm always in the woods when I'm wearing it, so I figured a used shirt in good condition was sufficient.

For some of the youth in my troop, two shirts may not be an option; if for no other reason but outgrowing them both every six months. I have no objections to one of our Assistant Patrol Leaders, who is also a Den Chief, pinning the APL patch on during troop meetings. His primary POR for advancement is Den Chief; the APL only comes into play during campouts and the occastional troop meeting.

Velcro was discussed as an option, but to set a good example for the Cubs, he decided to sew the Den Chief patch on. And having the two patches during troop meetings helps to reinforce service to the younger scouts.