Travel and Uniforms

I know of no official requirement to travel in uniform to be covered by insurance.

My opinion is that the speaker was mistaken, misinformed, or deliberately misleading in an effort to "require" uniform wear.

You might want to ask the person telling you that to show it to you in a official written BSA document or publication. I have found that a very effective way to reduce the amount of misinformation. If the speaker does not have the official document or publication at hand, they should offer to get it for you and if they don't offer, ask them to get it for you. Again, my opinion is that you are entitled to know the official stance of the BSA.

Unfortunately I have heard this same thing announced at various leader training. My opinion is that it should be reported to your local Scout Executive.

It is a lot easier to keep an eye on multiple scouts at a rest area if they are wearing some sort of uniform.

My wife did a similar thing with my kids when they were younger. They would wear brightly colored shirts or jackets. You could spot better them if they accidently wandered off.

Having come from a very traditional cub scout pack we were told to wear uniforms to and from all scout activities. So we did as we were told. Then my son joined a travelling boy scout color guard.On their trips because the leaders have many years experiance working with large groups and to eliminate excess gear the group is told what to wear 24 hours in every day. Then when my oldest joined a Venture group(High Adventure) chartered by the BSA National Office.

I was quickly relized that uniforms are not required for insurance, actually when they went to Europe 2 years ago, except for actually getting on the planes I don't beleive uniforms were worn the whole trip. They went to a jamboree and many scout tshirts were worn but nothing official on any exact date as when color guard goes someplace.Part of that is in Venturing the crew decides what they are going to use as their uniform and to get a group of high school and college kids together dressing matching just isn't that cool anymore. When you get this age you just want to have quality kids and don't sweat the small stuff.