Bolo ties with the uniform

Nephew absolutely hates to wear his troop neckerchief. There is really no good reason for it, except that he far prefers to wear his BS Bolo tie. When it comes time for his TF BOR, should I push the issue and make him wear his troop neckerchief? Everything else he wears is standard BS issue, shirt, pants, belt (after I replace the buckle that was lost at camporee), hat and socks. He even has an official slide that he could wear (normally he wears a homemade one when he wears his neckerchief).

Thanks for your input

Michelle

CM - P102

The choice of whether the troop's uniform includes the neckerchief is optional to the troop, not the individual scout. Therefore, if he wants to be in full uniform for his BOR, he should wear the neckerchief.

But your question is whether you should push the issue and make him wear the neckerchief. I would say no. You might remind him of what the uniform standards are, but if he still wants to wear the bolo, I would suggest leaving the rest to the leaders who will be conducting the BOR.

We have Scouts who wear the standard red neckerchief (by default, our Troop neckerchief since we haven't designated any other), the standard bolo, the Eagle bolo, the 40 knots neckerchief, nothing around the neck, and so on. Of course, the usual assortment of slides.

In other words, our lads look just like the photos of Scouts in the Handbook, PL and SPL Handbooks, every issue of Boys Life, etc -- look for yourself. I wouldn't push...

Of course, I encourage all of them to be in as complete a uniform as possible for their BORs. To their credit, they understand how important it is to them.

KS