Varsity Uniform

Pardeon me tortdog but all I have suggested is to wear the uniform at the appropriate in an appropriate way. You on the otherhand have suggested that it can be worn with a pink fuzzy belt and slippers, that it must be worn ay all times, that the cccouncil has the authority to alter the uniform. All of which are incorrect. SHAC did not give you the correct answer they gave you the answer you wanted to hear.

The correct answers are in the BSA handbooks and the Insignia Guide neither of which seem legible to you. Your on your own from now on.

Best of luck.

BW

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I've learned is that councils are run by volunteers and they are not always correct. The most authoritative sources are the written BSA publications and the national BSA website.

By the way, what is a "uniform cop" and how would that term come up at a BSA training? (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

>The most authoritative sources are the written BSA publications and the national BSA website

Well, the national BSA web site directs you to ask your local council if you have questions (which is what I did). Unfortunately, SHAC did not answer the question as some would have wanted it to.

Meanwhile, the BSA published Guidebook says you don't need Scout socks or a Scout belt for a Varsity activity uniform. So obviously the Guidebook isn't complete. (Shew...even the Bible is not complete so I can cut the BSA some slack for having left something out, or is someone arguing that the BSA publications are more perfect than the Bible?)

The term came up as I was in an instructor class and this instructor of instructors mentioned that another instructor was a not nice person when it came to certain items, imposing her view of rules to the point of absurdity.

Made the class laugh.

Were a BSA Council to follow Bob White's interpretations of the Varsity Guidebook, the Varsity teams would either (i) run the Varsity program but never be in uniform except for courts of honor or (ii) be in uniform but not run the Varsity program. Maybe that's why the BSA said ask your councils if you have questions. The councils can bring reality to the picture. In SHAC, Varsity teams meet the uniform requirements (to the shagrin of some in the BSA outside SHAC) while also participating in the full Varsity Scout program.

That's a good thing.

BTW...the Guidebook does not prohibit an activity uniform consisting of a pink fuzzy belt coupled with the Scout shorts. But, that's just me reading the Guidebook without any common sense sprinkled on top.(This message has been edited by tortdog) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)