Charter Org and Uniform

Does any one know (Bob White?) if a Charter Organization may require that the unit(s) that they charter wear the complete uniform? In other words even though BSA does not require a uniform can a Charter Organization require that all registered members in their units wear the complete and correct uniform?(This message has been edited by Region 7 Voyageur)

Yes, Charter Organizations may make rules that are more restrictive but not less restrictive than the BSA. That would include the CO making complete uniforms mandatory for all members.

In my opinion that is a poor way to lead, or to implement the wearing of a scout uniform, but the CO has that authority. I would hope thay would also make obtaining a complete uniform possible for all families taking their individual resources into consideration.

BW

We have a great CO.. no complaints. They have place additions requirements on us, for example, they require us to be screened by the Archdiocese (background Check), they require trip permits any time a Scout is riding in a car with an adult other than his parent.

When it came to uniforms, the CO wants us to wear full uniforms, however they have not made an issue of it. They offered to buy us some Scout stuff. I met with them and they asked my what they can buy for the Troop. They suggested pants for all the boys as they all have shirts etc. They gave me a dollar number and so I asked them to buy tents. We would get a lot of use out of tents and as a brand new Troop, we did not have any.

They purchased 10 tents for us.

They are going to offer once a year a cash donation to the Troop. Maybe next year we will look at pants.

Jerry

AS a Scoutmaster our CO also gave us an annual budget. But then we bave a lot back to the CO as well. Given the choice I too would have bought tents first. We used our first popcorn sales to complete the scouts' uniforms. I think the CO should support complete uniforms just as they should support training for all adult leaders, and all other aspects of a strong scouting program.

BW