Another hat question

The uniform inspection sheet says either the cap or the campaign hat must be worn. The choice of which is by vote of the troop. Another publication says the hat is optional, by vote of the troop. I don't know which is more current. In any case, individuals abide by the troop decision.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this but the Handbook is quite clear. Neckerchief, cap or campaign hats are optional,pp 12-13. I was in the local scout shop and was told the "Indiana Jones" style hat with the BSA pin is considered offical but I don't think it is. They want the staff of a training to wear them so I needed to buy one.

I had always understood hats to be optional, but I had occasion to look at the language of the inspection sheet the other day, and that language seems to contradict the idea that hats are optional. It is clear that everybody has to be the same within the troop, but as in many areas, there seems to be a contradiction here.

The BSA has a brand new Insignia Guide 2005.

Headgear Regulations are covered on page 3.

Basically, it does not say that headgear is REQUIRED. It talks about what is and is not official headgear and when and where headgear can be worn and what can be worn on headgear. But it does not say that headgear is required. It mentions nothing about a all members of the unit wearing the same headgear whether by choice, vote, etc.

Some of the uniform inspection sheets address headgear, but based on the actual insignia guide, my interpretation is that headgear is not required. I know in my units, we do not require headgear.

We advise members to wear headgear for protection from the elements but we don't force it. We have no standard headgear in my units, members can wear any BSA or Scout related headgear. Most wear either the official "baseball" type cap, or a similar cap from camp, camporee, etc. A few of the adults have campaign hats or expedition hats. Personally, I mostly wear Scout related baseball style caps, but I have both a campaign hat and an Expedition hat and wear them at times.

The Insignia Guide addresses insignia. I wouldn't infer much from any lack of discussion about anything other than insignia. As you pointed out, the section on hats talks mainly about what pins (insignia) may be worn on the hat.