The Campaign Hat/staff

Let's not forget that B-P himself wore his old military campaign hate and that's what started it all. Somewhere in there, BSA (American version) decided to make an 'official' (imitation B-P) hat and gouge us all for it. B-P would probably agree wholeheartedly with your creative solution.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the BSA adopted the latest U.S. Army headgear in the Campaign Hat. Most Anglo-armies had such hats shortly after the turn of the century. B-P's hat was different in color and slightly different in shape from the BSA's headgear. After WWII, the Overseas Cap was adopted by the BSA after it was adopted during WWII by the U.S. Army. In the 1970's, after the military started having some elite units wear a beret, it came into use in the BSA (until confusion of the bright red beret with youth gang colors and associations such as the Guardian Angels ended it sometime in the mid- to late 80s).

Online, I have found a the military surplus campaign hats for anywhere from 24.95 to 44.95, depending on whether used or new, and availability of sizes, etc. Buy the Hatband combination from national supply for about another $25.00, and you can save quite a bit of money, though it is still pricey for headgear that can wilt in the rain. I think the BSA hat is a little higher quality, but in the end the two look very similar.

jack

Both the BP and the BSA campaign hats were made by Stetson with the BP type hat being used by him back in the 1896 Matabele Campaign in Africa. It did not have the crown in the front like the BSA hat did. Furthermore, today's Royal Canadian Mounted Police wears the "BP type" of campaign hat.

I wear a Campaign Hat all the time as a Scoutmaster.. GOt mine from an online Surpluse Store brand new, then went to the Scout Shop and bought the hat band and pins etc..

Here are some suggestions.

Here is one for$29.99

http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=CH105&Category_Code=CAP

$32.70 for this one

http://hqcompany.com/campaign_hat.htm

Finally, the store I got mine...and I love it, good quality and has lasted a year now, in the rain, heat, woods, and of course snazzy at weekly meetings...

$29.95 at http://www.vtarmynavy.com/campaign-hats.htm

Hope that helps..I sure like it and I think all leaders should wear it.. it brings the tradition of Scouting back. I wear it because my Scoutmaster when I was a kid wore one.

Jerry

Scoutmaster

Troop 664