When do you wear them?

Roy Williams' thought on the uniform from his scouting magazine interview upon assuming the Chief Scout Exec position:

"What are your thoughts on the importance of the uniform in Scouting?"

"Well, certainly I would like to see every Scout correctly uniformed, because it is one of the methods of the Scouting program and serves many purposes. I would hope that leaders would take the time to see how uniforms should be worn; and if they're a uniform-type volunteer, like Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, den leader, or Cubmaster, that they would not do it halfwayand that their uniforms are neat and clean and setting a good example."

Most of us know that wearing or owning a uniform is not a requirement to be a member of the BSA. A great many adults who serve the BSA away from the Unit Level rarely if ever wear a uniform.

Most adults who serve at the Cub Scout and Boy Scout level are aware that Uniform is a method of the program. Wearing the uniform is an outward sign of the individuals acceptance of the ideals of Scouting.

Many Parents do not know that uniform is not a requirement for membership.

There is some confusion as to what is the uniform. The Cub Scout Leader Book says that the uniform should only be worn as the complete uniform. Most of us would use the Uniform Inspection Sheet as our guide.

I have to admit that I am surprised at how many adults wear the shirt and what ever pants come to hand, in the District that I serve blue Jeans seem to on hand. I would much sooner see adults not in uniform than in parts. These parts are not uniform. Still that is just me.

I did get really upset when I was Council Training Chair and looked in on a District Boy Scout Specific Training and there was a Trainer doing the uniform presentation while not wearing uniform pants. I just don't know how anyone could even think of doing such a thing?

We have four troops in the area where I live. The Scouts all attend the same high school and recruit from the same area. The town is small with 4,600 living in it. So the troops have a good cross section of the population in each troop. One troop is 100% uniformed, two are half and half, one seems to wear the activity uniform year round. No troop can claim that they are catering to financially challenged kids. The Scouts are following the example set by the leaders and the leaders are telling the parents that not wearing the pants is acceptable.

The last Eagle Scout BOR that I sat in on had 3 Lads in the "Hot Seat" One had on a brand new pair of Scout trousers. He had sent his Mother to the Scout Shop that day. She had bought them hemmed them and pressed them. One Lad had the shirt and a pair of baggy shorts. His Father is the SM. The other had the shirt and blue Jeans, his Dad is an ASM, in the troop that OJ belongs!! In the letter that we send out we ask the Scout to wear his uniform if he has one.

I happen to think that we ask the Scouts to wear their uniform too much. While it looks great on the parade ground at summer camp, I don't find it very practical for doing much else in.

Knowing what to wear and when to wear it is a life lesson that everyone needs to learn. I have always seen our job as adults as trainers and guides. Not as rule makers and enforcers. We set the example.

Dressing for the activity and the weather is more important than just wearing the uniform.When the PLC meets to plan a program, we are there to guide them. Sometimes there are rules that state when a uniform should be worn. At summer camp, our Council had a rule that uniform was to be worn for breakfast and dinner. The Scout's complained saying that there wasn't time after breakfast to return to their sites and change for the activities they would be doing, so uniform at breakfast was dropped.Back home in England there was a rule that all Scouts arriving at a National Camp site were to arrive in uniform. We of course followed the rule, but for a normal weekend camp out the only time that the Scouts worn their uniforms was to attend Scouts Own. We didn't dress for meals.

I have never had a PLC that went to the extreme that EagleKY fears. But lets take a look at it.

The PLC says that wearing uniform is no longer required by troop 666. Where was the SM? Where was the guidance? Didn't he explain why we have a uniform and why we wear it? Let's for a minute say he did all this and it fell on deaf ears. Will he now explain that uniform is required at summer camp? That the uniform is the place to wear the badges that they work so hard to earn, is the PLC suggesting that we no longer work on rank advancements and merit badges? I feel sure that any SM worth his salt would be capable of guiding the PLC. If we train them, trust them and let them lead, I see no reason why they can't decide when to wear the uniform. If fact I wonder why anyone would be worried unless they haven't trained them? Or don't trust them? Or they are not allowing them to lead? After all it is their troop.

I admire the troops that are doing everything that they can to help Scouts get a uniform. I will admit that I donate the uniforms that I come across to the Scouts that need them in our area, I think that we need to look after the kids in our neighborhood, because that is how things are set up.

In my books we will have cracked the "Uniform Nut" when Scouts wear it because they want to wear it and are proud of it, not because some rule tells them that they have too. Doesn't this come under making ethical choices ? And isn't that what we are all about?

Eamonn