Adult Eagle Scout

I understand that only the Scout wears the patches he earns [scout thru Eagle] on his left pocket, and when he becomes an adult Eagle Scout, he removes the Eagle Scout patch and sews on the Eagle Scout square knot. I didn't know this rule, but when I turned 18 I was told I couldn't wear it anymore, etc., so I bought the square knot that represented I was an Eagle Scout. However, I heard that [now] you can wear that Eagle Scout PATCH on your left pocket until you are 21 yrs of age. I dont know if that is true or not, can someone please help me out?

The Insignia Guide says that the Eagle Rank (patch) is worn by "Boy Scout, left pocket" and the Eagle Scout Award (square knot) is worn by "Scouter, above left pocket".

Under the section on Venturing Insignia it says that "earned Boy Scout rank recognition, may be worn on the Venturing uniform"

Are you a Boy Scout, a Scouter, or a Venturer? It appears that a registered Venturer may wear the Eagle rank patch until the age of 21.

Thank you for your post. It helped out a lot. I am a Venturer with Troop 260 (and have no Eagle Scout award [squareknot] or Eagle Scout Patch) on my green venturing uniform. But since I can wear the patch on my left pocket until I am 21, I'll sew it on there. I am also a Scouter (asst. sm) for Troop's 245 & 260. I have the adult Eagle Scout award sewn on above the left pocket, so I guess I'll just let that be. I also work on Camp Staff at Camp Old Indian, and we actually become a venture crew for the summer as well as through out the year after camp ends, so we wear the Green venturing Class A uniforms to dinner/chapel/some campfires...so now I can also sew on the Eagle Scout patch on that as well.

Thanks again for your post.

Michael Tucker

"Once 'n Eagle, Always 'n Eagle"

"Livestrong"