Cub scout socks for Cub leaders

Is it "legal" for Cub Scout Leaders to wear Cub Scout blue and yellow socks, with the tan and green field uniform, and with the official Cub Scout yellow and blue "polo style" activity shirt and green uniform pants?

In shorts especially, the red topped green socks clash with the Cub Scout yellow and blue "polo style" activity shirt!

I have received a private e-mail stating: "There is no activity uniform shirt in cub scouts. Cubs and Cub Leaders (according to the Cub Leader Handbook) were the entire uniform or no uniform at all. The cub t-shirts are not meant for wear with the rest of the cub uniform (see the uniform section of the Cub Scout Leader Handbook). That is not to say that the den or pack cannot have activities where they wear the same t-shirt and no uniform pants, belt socks or hat."

However, my Scout Shop (and the catalog list it) says there is an activity uniform shirt in cub scouts. The blue and yellow Cub Scout Activity Shirt is supposed to correspond to the red one for Boy Scouts. The Scout Shop also told me I could wear the blue and yellow socks (or red and green), as I am a Den Leader, that I am not sure about. You can see how red and green socks would clash with this shirt.

So now I ask not only are the socks "legal" but the activity shirt as well? Any info or opinions would be helpful.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/cgi/catalog

CUB SCOUT ACTIVITY SHIRT

Comfortable shirt is made of a 60% cotton/40% polyester blend. Treated with Dupont Teflon SR! for stain resistance. An embroidered Cub Scout logo applique is on the left chest. WW846/WW847$19.00 (Youth S,M,L) $20.50 (Adult S,M,L,XL) $22.50 (Adult 2X) $23.50 (Adult 3X)

For reference here is the Boy Scout version.

BOY SCOUT ACTIVITY SHIRT

SCOUT ACTIVITY SHIRT

Here's a Scouting uniform option that's comfortable during any activity. This cool, lightweight shirt is a soft 50% cotton/50% polyester blend. $18.00 (Youth S-L) $20.00 (Adult S-XL) $22.30 (Adult 2X)$24.45 (Adult 3X)

The activity uniform for an adult Cub Scout leader is the same as for a Boy Scout: activity shirt (whether it's a unit t-shirt, Boy Scout polo, Cub Scout polo or whatever), uniform pants, belt and Boy Scout socks. It would not be appropriate to wear Cub socks, even with the Cub Scout polo shirt.

To argue that Cub Scouts don't have activity uniforms is a matter of semantics. Both my boys have piles of Cub Scout t-shirts. Certainly they wear them as "activity uniforms" when appropriate. So okay, technically they are either in full Cub Scout uniform or they are out of uniform. Does it really matter?

Twocubdad:

Thanks; I wasn't concerned about the legitimacy of the activity uniform until I received the private e-mail. Activity uniforms have always been an integral part of my scouting, both for Boy Scouts and Cubs.

The sock thing was bothering me because I had never seen an adult in Cub socks, except females in yellow and blue uniforms.

It is running about 95 degrees here during the day. We are doing a seven mile trek this weekend. I will probably clash, but be a little cooler!

I own an English Setter, who can point out his chair, his couch, his food bowl.

When the property is covered with migrating Canadian snow geese he can point out that they are in his way.

Both him and I have always been too busy to give activity uniforms much thought. He is busy sleeping and his chair and his couch are also mine, so I'm busy moving him.

Eamonn.