Traveling In Uniform

I'd like to know what the official policy and some opinions on traveling in uniform to and from events. I feel that the Scouts should wear the uniform when traveling. For campouts, I like the Scouts to wear their uniforms for meals, but they can change into "grubby clothes" for activities. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On regular campouts, we travel to the campout in uniform. We sometimes return in uniform, but often the scouts are so grubby, we choose not to. At summer camp, they attend dinner/flag ceremony in uniform every day, as well as campfires and special events (OA, Vespers, etc.).

Our troop has a bylaw item stating we travel to and from events in full uniform... adults too. The tour leader has the option of allowing troop T-shirt activity outfits if the outing is a work detail or otherwise appropriate. When anyone whines about the policy I relate many true stories of the advantages, from getting free ice at McDonalds for the cooler chests, to getting let through locked gates by the rangers at parks for camping when we arrived after closing time.

We encourage our Scouts to travel in uniform but we're not going to keep anyone from going on a trip because they "forgot" their uniform.

Call me strange but I like travelling in my uniform. I run into Scouters and old Scouts nearly every place that I stop.

As KA6BSA said, the goodwill that the uniform brings is incredible.

As far as a national policy regarding traveling in uniform....there is none. I have always weighed the travel time and destination activity to determine whether or not to travel in uniform. If we are headed for a 90 minute non stop drive to a campsite, I don't see the value in being in uniform, But if we are going a longer distance and making rest stops then I think being in uniform when we exit the vehicles is appropriate.

Being in uniform spreads scoutings image, affects the boys' behaviors, makes them easier to find in a crowd, and promotes good will and good memories from those who see them.

I used to think traveling in uniform was a bad idea. I thought it was inconveniant and uncomfortable and there was no benefit to it.

I have since changed my mind. When practical, the uniform should be worn while traveling. There may be times it is better to wear the activities uniform instead of the field uniform, but normally wearing some type of the uniform is farely practical. If you are going to be seen in public during a Scouting event it is a good idea to be in uniform. It shows what type of group you are. It helps encourage the best behaviour of the Scouts. It can lead to many interesting experiences, such as running into a group of old guys at a McDonalds that all earned their Eagles together decades ago.

I personally travel in uniform when it is up to me. It saves time after arriving at many events. I am also not so worried about getting the uniforms dirty as I once was. I realised this is Scouting, a bit of dirt comes with the territory. I don't wear the uniform to service projects, or at every event, but as long as it is practical I do.

Here is a suggestion for long road trips: Travel in the activities uniform and switch to the field uniform for such things as stopping for dinner. Sure, the shirts may get a bit wrinkled, but so what.

We're a "complete uniform while traveling" Troop. Happens pretty much automatically, we don't have anyone policing who is and is not in uniform. This gets discussed by the SPL when boys cross over. Even on their first camp out or two, they wear there Cub Scout uniform if necesary.

We had an ASM who was the lead adult on a trip one time, and he was a bit over zealous with this. Sent a mom home to retrieve junior's belt because he forgot it. We usually aren't that strict. But the guys all seem to come in complete uniform, all of the time.

Wearing the uniform while traveliing has never seemed to be a hinderance to us. Part of every Scout's pack is a hanger that his uniform is hung on when he arrives at camp. We don't wear our uniform for meals (except for summer camp every other year), so it stays neat, even for a week. We have proven, at least to ourselves, that wearing the uniform has been beneficial at times. Our Troop is used to it, so no one complains. I can only speak for us, but this is a none issue.

Mark