Troop jacket or sweatshirt? to display patches or for uniformity?

Living in northern IL - much of the year we are doing outings in weather that requires warmer clothing than a troop t-shirt or Scout uniform.

The jac shirt is kind of expensive - especially for growing boys - but has anyone used a 'troop' windbreaker or hooded sweatshirt or something similar for group recognition?

One thing I did see at a Klondike that I liked, was a scout olive green ski hat, with the troops red troop number sewn on it. (the same number patch used on uniform sleeeves) Very simple and very effective for picking your boys out of a crowd!

I'm thinking of suggesting to the troop that we offer the option of offering a sweatshirt or jacket with the troop logo on it -

If possible, it might be nice if the boys could wear their activity patches on it, too. since it is not an 'official' uniform piece - are their any regulations for or against a troop choosing to have a troop jacket?

Red is, of course, great for visibility - but whould we stay away from red because of the scout windbreaker and jac shirt? do the same patch rules apply to the red scout windbreaker as the jac shirt?