"You quote from an Institue of Heraldry. The stuff they compile is of a historical nature. It is not intended nor implied to reflect contempory views a couple of hundred years later."

Actually, as I read it they also develop new stuff such as coats of arms for new units. They are also a more authorotative source than some random den leader on the internet.

" It is also extremely unlikely that the wearing/position/orientation of the Flag on any units uniform would be left to the organizations commander."

Ah .... see you're having problems with the language. The Army is one organization, the VFW is another, BSA is yet another and NCAA is one more. Since the squad leaders need to follow the directives passed down from the DA, the decision has been taken out of their hands.

"Hence the introduction of "flat black painted, pin-on" emblems of rank. Cheap emblems which were easily removed should the situation require it. However, the Army prevailed!"

" whos gonna have the time to set him/her aside for a few days or weeks to train them?"

You don't have a lot of confidence in your soldiers. They wore BDUs in Basic Training, do you really think that they'd have forgotten how to put on button their pants? Just as an experiment, I went upstairs and dug out an old pair of BDU pants that I have but haven't worn in 20 years. Guess what! I could put them on with no trouble. Pretty strange.

" The fact that the US Merchant Marine, or any other Maritime Organization, may or may not, have decided upon gray or any other color was more a reflection of the times! "

Where did I say anything about the Merchant Marine? The Service Dress Khaki uniform was a naval uniform but I do apologize for assuming that you knew that. The SDK was eliminated in the early 70's.

In response to your question, what makes you think that BSA is wearing the flag incorrectly?

Hops, that was sarcasm. I know that you're a young'un. I also know that you play football and baseball and are a military wannabe. You live in the land of the Illini and your email address is allstarcatcher##@######.com.

The Army has even more uniforms. Dress Blues, Mess Dress, Dress Whites, and a few more that I can't think of off hand mostly because I was in the Navy.

"Outside the box"

Ha! Youngster, I'm so far outside of your box that you couldn't even see me if you could find the walls of the box. People don't survive in my business by coloring inside the lines.(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

Hops,

To steal a line from Eamonn, don't let He Who Should Be Ignored get you down. Your posts are insightful and I look forward to seeing them.

You suffer ffrom a malaise that many of your peers who grew up in the IM generation have: You type quickly, more like a conversation than a work of prose. I've come to accept (reluctantly, for sure!) that that is the way computer conversations now happen. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Despite what was said here, communication is a two way street. The sender does have a responsiblity to make the message understandable. The receiver has an equal responsiblity to understand the message. Keep posting. Those who want to get your message will. the rest may just go away.

Mark

I really wish the BSA would revisit and review contemporary use and display of our Flag as worn on the uniform of the very noble members of our Armed Forces.

I'm certain they might be convinced to change our uniforms.

Ooorahh, Semper Fi!

Roy

Okay Hops, I'll try this again. It all depends on your answer to "Is the flag patch a flag?" If you consider the flag patch to be a flag then the flag code states that when it is displayed against a surface that the canton be to the viewer's left (flag's right). If you consider that the flag patch is not a flag then it doesn't matter.

Why should the canton be on the flag's right? As explained on the Am. Legion's site, that is a place of honor. So, by extension, having the blue field to the flag's left is placing it in a position of less honor.