Trousers in long sizes? Yeah right

I've stated before that I've never bought a pair of genuine BSA pants because the rise was enough and I felt that the pants were falling off me. I also didn't think that the quality was worth $45 and I didn't want the elastic expando waist.

Imagine my joy when I noticed in the "clearance" section of the catalog that they had the old style pants in "Long" sizes. Not just that but they are only $25. That sounded too good to be true so I called up and ordered a few pair.

Why a few? Until you know how a company's pants fit, it is usually best to bracket your size.

My new pants arrived today. The big brown van dropped off a big brown box with BSA markings. Oh boy. I pulled out my ever present pocket knife and cut the tape on the box and pulled out a pair of pants. Yep. My Size. Alright!

I pulled on my new pants, thinking about how sharp I'd look at the next meeting. No joy. :-( The rise isn't enough. I really don't think that it is any different than the rise on the regular trousers. The danged things are barely hanging on my hip bones and feel like they are going to slide right off.

Rats!

"One size fits all" does not. With just inseam and waist variances, compromises will exist. I can buy various manufacturers pants, all with identical inseam and waist measurements and alas, some will fit nicely, others horridly. With the BSA options, "you gets what you get." Oh well, I've got bigger troubles elsewhere.

You're right but one would hope that a company that makes pants would be clever enough to increase the rise when they make pants for tall people.

I can see the meeting in my mind's eye. BSA says, "oh yeah, we want some pants in 'long' as well." The manufacturer rep says, "Okay, we'll increase the inseam (already a mile) by 3 inches and the rise by two and a half inches." BSA says, "Rise? Wazzat?" "Oh, that the lenght from crotch to waist." BSA responds, "don't mess with that. Mentioning crotches might violate the morally straight part so we won't do that."

I guess my two options are made-to-measure or keep wearing my unauthorized OD pants.

FOG - something on which we agree! BSA pants are not built like BSA people.

Of course, my problem is the exact opposite. The waist comes considerably above my waist. And the cut of the legs is more comfortable for walking backward than forward. I tried putting the pants on backward but the zipper was too hard to reach...

Now, I can buy pants that fit quite well at Walmart for less than twenty bucks. The biggest problem is that when they shrink they get too short as my legs appear to be too long for my body. I know it wasn't God's error, so it must be the clothing manufacturers. My admittedly, um, generous figure must actually be pretty normal as nearly all the Walmart providers that work in my size seem to manage to sew up something reasonably close. But not the BSA. Nor, in case you wonder, the GSUSA - their pants are even worse, if you can believe that. (I mean, at least I could tell myself, "naturally the BSA pants won't fit my girl-curves." But you'd think the Girl Scouts could get it right! )

Ultimate answer must be custom order. Or put up with miserable fit.

NOW I understand why all of those Scouters wear their pants so low under their guts.......they can't pull them any higher!

I can sympathize FOG. I'm 6'2" and wear a 42 waist. Most clothing manufacturers thing that anyone with a waist larger than 38 has a 28 or 30 inch inseam. I really don't like looking like I'm going to a flood. I is hard to find pants long enough or with a high enough rise unless you are built like a beanpole. You can find the same style of pants with a 32 waist and a 38 length. Go figure! Sadly, this problem isn't just with the BSA.

FOG, have you tried the wool dress pants? They're cut like a real pair of men's trousers. I don't remember the price (I got mine as a Christmas present), but I'm sure they're pricy. Of course you don't want to wear them in the woods, but I'm comfortable at enough indoor meetings to justify them

You're right about the field pants, though. I think they were all designed for 60 pound 12-year-olds.

I guess I'm the guy they used for the design 'cause I like the fit and feel of the pants (of course custom-hemmed for my inseam). And I even like the elastic part...after an outing you don't have to search for seed ticks, they all gather there.