opinion please - What parts of uniform are approprite to what events?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find anything that suggests it's not recommended DS. The Insignia guide only says "Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash. Members may wear only one merit badge sash at a time. A merit badge sash is never worn on the belt."

BW

I'll admit I'm too tired to look it up, Bob, but I'm referring to a portion of the Insignia Guide that points to a minimalist look (wrong word) but again I'm too tired to look it up. You're right that you won't find the words not remommended, but the reference points to a clean look to the uniform or something to that effect. It may be a caution toward over ornamentation on a uniform.

On second thought, I should probably not say anything until I have the reference in front of me. And that won't be this evening.

I've got United Way requests to file by 4:30 tomorrow along with a pile of other deadlines. I'm sorry, but I'll get to it later if the thread is still on the radar.

I'm editing this thread and it sounds edgier than it should. I apologize. It's got nothing to do with Scouting, but I'm worried about something else. Let's leave it at that.

Worry isn't all bad. It allows us to think of contingencies we'll maybe never need. But at least we'll have them if we do need them.

All will be well.

DS

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)

Hello,

I can't believe I've got three copies of the OA Handbook right near my computer desk, and the most recent issue I can find is the '98 revision. "The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be identified as Arrowmen rendering special services."

The wording is the same in the '96 revision, but in the '92 revision it says, "...activities including courts of honor, and on occasions when..."

I looked further, but could not find a more recent edition of the handbook, although I doubt that the wording has been changed again. However, I wonder why it was changed in the first place. If not for this thread I would never have looked and I doubt that I would have even noticed the change. I have always gone by what I knew, which was the more encompassing wording.

I am going to miss the opportunity to wear the sash at a COH in the future. However, I will continue to wear it when an election team comes to our troop to hold an election or for any other OA activity. I will put it on when the team takes over, and take it off when they are finished, because during that portion of the troop meeting I will be attending an OA activity.

YIS, paul