Class B's

The 'dress uniform' according to the Insignia Guide 2002-2004 page 47, is a blazer with scout tie or for females the scarf, worn with white shirt or blouse. It is normally only worn by professionals.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 2 weeks later...

"The 'dress uniform' according to the Insignia Guide 2002-2004 page 47, is a blazer with scout tie or for females the scarf, worn with white shirt or blouse. It is normally only worn by professionals."

One should say, "it is usually only worn by professionals." To say "normally" implies that a volunteer wearing the dress uniform is abnormal. The Insignia Guide says nothing about professionals or volunteers wearing the uniform, only that it exists for Scouters.

I did not not quote the book (note there were no quote marks). Had I said "the uniform is worn normally" (as opposed to "normally worn") then your comment would have been correct as the word normally would have modifies the worn worn. But it wasn't.

None of that changes the fact the the "Dress Uniform" is descibed on page 48 of the Insignia Guide. I agree that many intermix the field and the dress uniform in conversation and I see no real harm in that as the actual dress uniform is worn so seldom.

Bob White

" I agree that many intermix the field and the dress uniform in conversation and I see no real harm in that as the actual dress uniform is worn so seldom."

Just like there is no "Class A" or "Class B", the field uniform and dress uniforms are well defined. I always tell my kids, "there is a right word, use it."

• 1 month later...