Type A: Square MB questions

Just started to collect some of the early BSA merit badges from the start of scouting. They are called either squares or Type A or sometimes Type 1. They were produced from about 1911 to 1933. Having trouble finding pictures of them for comparison. I did find a list of the original 57 BSA MBs and their logos. Some questions, for those who may know more:

1. Leatherworking is listed as being a leather stamp, but all the ones I have seen have a moccasin. Anyone seen the other version, or is it just extremely rare?

2. Ornithology was discontinued in 1915 and was replaced by bird study. Did they use the same logo (a white bird) or was there a difference when the change was made? Ornithology lists as a hummingbird logo but I don't know what it looks like.

3. Anyone have any good online references (other than usscouts & wikipedia) for this stuff? with pictures?

Thanks.

Ray Moore's book on the Bernie Miller collection vol. 1 shows Leather Working as an illustration of a leather awl, and Leathercraft as a moccasin. (pg. 202/205) In addition to these two merit badges there are photos of 89 other square type. No orinthology though.

This book is available through TSPA.

• 2 months later...

Ornithology/Bird Study used the same "white bird" design from 1914-1968.

It's not an online resource, but Fred Duersch's book, Merit Badge Field Guide has pictures of all the merit badges (other than Invention) up through 2008, with numbers awarded and a fair bit of history thrown in. Most collectors call the square ones "Type A", although once you mention "square" in describing them most people will know exactly what you mean.