Scouts and the environment: through Recycling Education

Hello

I work for Ann Arbor's Solid Waste Department's Educational Services Program. We host biweekly open houses at our recycling facility and encourage scout groups to come and learn about recycling and waste reduction in their community. We pair this activity with other projects that aim to educate and entertain while appealing to scouting interests. For example we make birdfeeders out of recycled pop bottles, go on birdwalks, plant seeds in compost, make paper, etc. We are considering offering a pin that scouts could earn after they have participated in one of our events as well as fulfilled some other requirements that include finding out what they can recycle at school, participating in neighborhood/schoolyard clean-ups, poster making, and so on.

As I have never been a scout, I was hoping to learn from this forum if there are any guidelines or restrictions I should be aware of before I get to far into this project. For example, Can scouts where non-Boy Scouts of America pins on their uniform? If we offer activities that could possibly also fulfill requirements for other patches, will our activities be accepted? Will the organization accept our posting of information in, for example, local BSA offices/bookstores?

Any feedback, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Does anyone know if BSA or GSA have any kind of restrictions on what kinds of pins, patches or badges scouts can wear on their uniforms?

Do activities that could be used to contribute to earning badges have to be BSA/GSA approved in order for scouts to earn towards badges? For example, if my organization funds making birdfeeders for youth groups and this fits some patch/badge requirement, must this activity with my organization be approved in order for scouts to earn toward their patch/badge?

Your recycled material fits in very well with Scouting's purpose of environmental awareness. It would help Cub Scouts, age 7 to 11, and Boy Scouts, age 11 up meet certain environmental requirements for Cub Scout rank advancement and Merit Badges for Boy Scouts. You might want to flip through some Cub Scout books and the Boy Scout Handbook and Merit Badge book at the local BSA supply center.

Special patches are allowed on the right pocket of a Scout's uniform shirt. Special pins can be worn but we try not to make a habit of it. They are great for collecting, however. Your intent and ours are the same - give boys something to do that is fun and educational while allowing them to be recognized for their good deeds.

Wish we had more like you. Our thanks!