Cit in Comm, charitable org, Girl Scouts???

Hello ScoutNut,

Thanks for your insights. The women who is the MBC is a good friend of mine and has been for many years. This is her first go around at being an MBC. She is not asking me as a parent but as a Scouter. Additionally, I am sure even if she asks me my opinion she will make up her own mind.

I thought it was a good question from my son the Scout. After reading all the posts and thinking about it I believe using the GS for this particular requirement is a poor choice. There are better charity organizations for the Boy Scouts, including my son, to volunteer and learn about.

I do think his initial intent was well founded. His intent being helpful to another similar organization and help his sister at the same time.

the other thing to think aobut is that the MB states that it be a charitable organization. Girl Scouts isn't really a "charitable" organization. to me a charitable organization.

charitable: generous in donations or gifts to relieve the needs of indigent, ill, or helpless persons, or of animals

Girl Scouts is an organization - yes... but it does not fullfil the definition of charitable.

charitable would be like a local food pantry, animal shelter, homeless/abused shelter, red cross... basically an orgaization that assists those that need the support of others.