Packsaddles challenge

Really, if someone out there can write a clear, unambiguous requirement that all boys can read and understand, a requirement that all boys would understand that they have to meet in order to gain approval, I'd really like to read it.

Yah, I sorta like da Oath and Law myself, eh?

Guess folks find that too "ambiguous".

I expect anything that's really valid is not goin' to pass the unambiguous test, because as soon as yeh make it concrete it can be gamed. If yeh try to define virtue as "following the law" (which is less ambiguous, though I reckon there's still plenty of ambiguity in law), yeh get Enron or AIG or worse. If yeh try to define "active" yeh get all kinds of oddity.

Still, I figure we can have some fun with this, eh?

I reckon mine would be "the troop adults and scouts think of you as an active, respected Assistant Scoutmaster". Someone who has da skills, responsibility, character, and leadership ability to be responsible for others in remote and challenging activities, and be responsible for portion(s) of the program in-town.

I don't mind da difference between units, eh? In one unit, that person could be an outstandin' mountain climber; in another, a fine car-camper. Different kids can be responsible for different portions of da program in-town, matched to their interests and abilities.

Point is just that he's respected and trusted by peers and adults in the troop for his skills, responsibility, character, and leadership - enough to be trusted with other people's kids.

What are yours?

Beavah