Hmmm ... this sounds very familiar to me. One scout who joined our troop last year along with 23 other scouts. After 4 months, he quit our troop and join a small troop within our area. Of those orignal 24 scouts of a year ago, 18 are now either 1st class or close to become 1st class; however, this young man is a Star scout and almost Life.

I found out from one of the parents who knows his family well that the reason why they left our troop is because his mother did not think that we advance the boys fast enough and this other troop does. From what I understand is that this troop camps in the backyard, counts family camping as part of activities, etc. The scoutmaster's older son got his eagle scout before his 14th birthday and his younger brother just got his eagle. By the way, the father is the SM/COR and the mother is the CC. My question is that how could the District Advancement Chair allows the advancement to be allowed.

It's usually not the scout, but it's the adult(s)! I, on the other hand, look at it from the other side. When and if my sons (and the other scouts in our troop) get their eagle scout award, they would have known what it took and should be proud of this achievement. They would know that they did not take short cuts!