creative way to do advancements

Hi, for our pack meeting in May, we are doing a carnival theme. I would like a way to do the advancements that fit in with the theme. For example at the Blue and Gold, I had each den's advancements wrapped in birthday paper.

Any ideas?

hmm..I wonder if you could put them inside balloons that the boys would then have to pop to get them? You could write the den name on the balloons to keep them straight.

Or how about making up boxes of popcorn and hiding them in them like the "prize" in the Cracker Jack box?

that's all I got!

sue m.

How about setting up a popcorn machine in the meeting? The smell alone will set the stage - kids and parents will both love it! Make sure everyone enjoys some popcorn during the meeting, then as you call the boys up front, give them their awards in empty popcorn bags.

Of course, you can use balloons everywhere - instant atmosphere!

One advancement ceremony idea from an OLD monthly theme: "Inflate 2 balloons, one with helium and the other with just air. During the ceremony, hold them by the knot so the audience can't tell the difference. The idea is that these 2 balloons represent 2 boys in your community. Both these boys are happily involved in sports, church (etc., as fits your community). But there is a difference between these two boys. This boy (the air balloon) is happy and he can keep being happy just doing the things hes doing now. (Let the air balloon just drop to the table or floor.) But this boy (the helium balloon) is (Scout's name) and he has found something extra. That extra something is Cub Scouting! He has been working hard as a Cub Scout, learning more and doing more each day. He knows that with his parents and leaders helping, (Scout's name) will be able to soar to new heights (release balloon) just like this balloon."